litter box issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

litter box issues

Now I have another problem, this is a picture of Minnie Mouse.

I found him and his brother or sister inside of a cardboard box in Tampa Florida, they evidently have sporadic cat and rat issues there and instead of dealing with the issues properly they lay out rat poison which Minnie and his sibling have eaten I believe.....no proof that this has happened but upon finding them both I immediately took them to the humane society cause one was sick, they could not save that one but instead had to put it to sleep immediately cause of the suffering.

I was after the mother for some time, ( I worked there for a short period of time ) the mother kept having babies evidently and no-one there could be bothered to catch her ( which was no easy task ) and get her fixed.

I did both of those things and released again the wild mother.

I think that Minnie has eaten some because since day one he has always been unsteady on the back legs. No real big issue, behaves just the same as a playful naughty cat but easy pushed off balance, definite issue there.

He has been here at the house with us since a kitten and maybe he is 5 years old ( just guessing )

My problem ( and it may be completely un-related) is the last couple of weeks he will just hover over the cat litter and different parts of the house ( which is unlike any cat we have ) and try to go to the bathroom but nothing comes out.

He is trying real hard and gives himself plenty of time but not much luck, he is outside most of the day so dont know if the problem is urine or poop or both.

Last time a couple of weeks ago my wife gave him some stuff in a tube to help him go, after a few days it seemed to work and Minnie was back to normal but now the problem is back.

We give the cats regular 9 lives from Wal-Mart, no money to feed 5 cats anything more exotic and they all get a treat of canned food twice daily as well, just a little bit in the A.M and again in the P.M.

One can split 5 ways twice a day in other words.

Any suggestions on what I might do other than take him to the vet? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 073.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	95930  

Last edited by marie73; 10-23-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 09:06 PM
Cat Addict

Have you been to the vet?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 08:42 PM
Premier Cat

If he's having trouble peeing, that's a really serious issue, and you really need to get him to a vet. With 5 cats, it's probably difficult to tell if he's leaving pee clumps, but have you seen him pee? If so, is it a normal amount of pee for him?

If it's constipation, ideally, he'd be eating only wet food. However, if you can't afford to give canned food more frequently, then try to get him to drink more water. Leave several water bowls in different areas around the house, so that he doesn't have to travel far to get to one. You could get a fountain - some cats who don't drink a lot of water like those and will drink more from them. I think they're fairly expensive, but it would be a longterm investment. Or, if it's feasible, maybe you could put only Minnie on an all-wet food diet?

Is he eating normally? Cats who are constipated will generally not eat very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 03:34 AM
Premier Cat

Uh, hope I'm wrong, but I'm suspecting Minnie may have had some kidney damage from taking in the poison. Only your vet can find out definitively through a bloodwork and urinalyis.

I totally agree with spirite though, that any cat seen "hovering" over a the litter box and is unproductive or seems to strain in producing urine calls for an E-vet, stat. Your clues come from scooping the litter box. Good, healthy kidneys produce about golf ball sized (though usually oval) clumps, sometimes even bigger. Tiny pee clumps are red flags. Normal cat feces are dark brown, slightly firm, and segmented in shape. If you find extra firm round marbles, chances are he's constipated. Sometimes excessive consitpation will cause bloody stools, too. Hope you find out what's causing the real issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page