Dirty Booty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Dirty Booty

Hello all!

So, I have a weird question and I can't decide if I am being a paranoid cat owner with her first baby (much like a new mother) or if I should be worried.

My little Emma, adorable as her face may be, has a not so hidden issue that she likes to put in my face. As in, she thuds me in the face and then leaves her butt in front of my nose asking me to sniff it.

Well, that isn't the issue. The issue is that someone, I'm not naming names, apparently is not as fastidious a booty cleaner as she used to be.

Sometimes I justify it as she has a lot more area to roam since moving away to grad school with me, so more to see, more to do... she is a busy kitty! All that exploring and patrolling makes her tired and takes time from the booty licking.

The other part of me is, "Oh my! Could it be anal gland issues? Is it a diet issue? I am a horrible pet parent!"

So the deets... butt is dirty. Stools are nicely formed, firm, and worm free. She does not seem to be straining in the box (because yes, I watch when she lets me). Other behavior is normal. No lumps, bumps, or feelings of swelling around that area... yes, my family has no boundaries. She sometimes does the floor scooch, but she has done that before and been given a clean bill of health from the vet at the same time. I think she is just... well... wiping her butt on my dark rugs, using them as toilet paper. She cleans around the butt, just not the actual dirty stuff. Might she just not like cleaning her own poo? I wouldn't... not with my tongue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 08:17 PM
Premier Cat

LOL, my cat is the same. She has never cleaned her butt the way most cats do. Like Emma, she uses my rugs, occasionally leaving a lovely dark and stinky streak. How old is Emma? Celia started doing this several years ago - maybe when she was about 8 (she's 15.5 years old now), and it seems to have coincided with her constipation issues - as if she's straining and a little bit comes partly out but gets stuck there. Sometimes, I can see a little piece of poo stuck.

But I think cats do this most often if they haven't been able to express their anal sacs, as you guessed. My Margaux, who passed away last year, had full anal sacs fairly often, but she never scooted. I used to take her to get them expressed every now and then, but after a few of those visits, she became supremely hostile at the vet, so I stopped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page