I found a kitten - possible eye issue - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Nas
Jr. Cat

I found a kitten - possible eye issue

Hi guys,

This morning I went out to my car and a little kitten jump up from under and on to my shoe. Then wouldn't leave me alone. I picked her (I think it's a girl) up and brought her inside.

Very clingy kitten, climbs all over me and up on my neck. I went to go run an errand, came back and found her asleep on my couch. She slept for about 4 hours.

I'm looking to keep her and wanted to get her to a vet and have her checked out before I go buy a litter box and cat food, but they're closed for the day. Some things that concern me, she walks around with her tail straight up and her eyes are a little pink around the lids. When she woke up, she didn't open her eyes for about 10 mins.

I figured ya'll might have some helpful info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 10:41 PM
Cat Addict

Hey congratulations! It's funny how cats just appear and like most of us here, you did the next logical thing and took care of it.

Your vet will be able to give you the best advice, but many feline eye issues are helped by lysine. Kittens often have pink and runny eyes- it's a type of conjunctivities associated with the herpes virus. Like many who post on this forum have found, remarkable results can be acheived with lysine. You can get it in a palatable powder just for cats or you can even use the people product found in drug or health food stores.

We would like to see a photo of your new kitten please!
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 12:41 AM
Cat Addict

Congrats on the kitten.
You do have somewhere for her to go to the toilet and some kind of cat food and water supply? as kittens are ravenous. You could use a foil tray with litter in as a temp measure.
The tail up is more likely she is happy and feels safe. The pink eye may also be from the car engine although more likely conjunctivitis.
Good luck with the vet visit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Nas
Jr. Cat

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I went and got her formula and some litter last night. I found some flees on her as well. I'm trying to find a vet, but most are booked up. It maybe until Thursday till I can get her treated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	95970  

post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 11:27 AM
Cat Addict

You could use a flea comb or bathe her using Dawn dish soap as this kills the fleas. Just ensure you wash the soap out fully and keep her warm while she dries off. Kittens are very squiggly normally but even more so when wet.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Nas
Jr. Cat

I took a wet wash cloth and wiped all the gunk off her eyes and they look a lot better today. Dawn dish soap? I'm kinda nervous to bath her.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 01:44 PM
Cat Addict

Yes the detergent. There are some you tube videos on how. It is safe to use. but if you are not confident then use the comb and dependant on age of the kitten you could get something from the vet like drops to put on.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 06:56 PM
Premier Cat

She is so tiny and cute! Thank you for saving this little kitten. Seems like you are doing everything right for the baby. Looking forward to updates on her.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 07:04 PM
Jr. Cat

So cute! Glad she found you, it sounds like your taking wonderful care of her

You can flush her eyes with regular contact saliene solution until you get them looked at, and over the counter polysporin eye drops could give her some temporary relief.

As for the fleas, like many have ready suggested a flea comb is helpful for removing some of the fleas, and dawn dish soap is good as well.
If the fleas are really bad and If you have a vet apointmnet booked, could you ask if the vet would sell one dose of revolution that could could use until you see the vet this week?
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 06:22 AM
Senior Cat

I can safely give a gold-star review of Dawn dish soap for killing fleas!

I've used it on my elderly cat (17 years old) who has kidney disease, and I also bathed a stray kitten I found with Dawn, and it really does do the trick.

You will want the ORIGINAL stuff though, the regular blue dish soap. NOT the kind with moisturizers or added scents or any other crazy stuff :}

Depending on how old the kitten is (hopefully the vet will be able to estimate!) she may be too young for Revolution or other flea drops. If so, the Dawn plus a flea comb should do the trick.

If you go the comb+Dawn route, give her a treat or two after you finish brushing her or bathing her. Associating rewards with brushing and bathing helps SO much in the long run! It's hard to get them used to it once they're adults ;}

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page