Is she craving protien? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Is she craving protien?

Tonight me and mom ordered some chinese for dinner... normally Boo doesnt have any interest in human food, unless its the odd little lick of butter, or the occasional olive

as my dinner i got chicken balls... we also got some veggies, rice, etc. she was meowing and going nuts, she wanted *something*....

just to see what would happen, i tried cutting open a chicken ball, and offering her a little bit of just the pure chicken in the middle (no breading)... she went absolutely nuts for it. like it was the best thing she had ever discovered. ended up giving her a few more small pieces, but i was afraid to offer too much...

i had tried this on them before though, and neither of them had any interest whatsoever.

is this a sign of a craving?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

No. My cats will eat anything.

Although I've never offered them that part of the chicken.....

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 02:12 AM
Premier Cat

They must be pretty tiny... would take an awful lot of them to make a meal....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 07:19 AM
Cat Addict

Marie and Mow Mow you made me really laugh out loud :0)
I think it might just be curiosity and age. Anything that walks through the door as take away and the girls want to smell it. If its got prawns Lulu always wants a little bite. Just recently we found a lovely French restaurant who do roasted chicken and Lulu now has some every time. She just sits at your feet and squeaks or will occaisionally put her paw on your knee. Who can resist that politeness.
Kiki, well more interested in the bag it all came in
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Hmm, well im glad i dont need to worry. it is new of her to be really curious about it beyond an initial sniff... but as long as i dont need to be worried about her, im happy

I have leftovers... im curious when i heat those up if she will be all over it again! lol
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 01:28 AM
Cat Addict

Probably and then next time you order, when you go to give her some, she'll look at you as if you are trying to poison her LoL
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 06:01 AM
Senior Cat

I'm not going to discount that she isn't craving protein if you have her on one of the restricted-protein prescription diets... from what I've read, human beings will start to crave things, sometimes even WEIRD things, when they have severe deficiencies in their diet. But again, I don't know for sure either way ;}

You can always try offering her some chicken the next time you get it in a meal (as long as the piece is clean of spices and wasn't cooked with onions or garlic) or you could even try a LITTLE bit of another, "regular" brand of cat food (basically not a restricted-protein one) and see if she goes nuts over that.

Cats ARE super picky and mine often decides she HATES a certain type of meat even though she devoured every last molecule of it when I gave it to her the previous week, etc. But I don't want to entirely wave off that she might be instinctively seeking out "more meat" if she's on a restricted diet.

TL;DR it's probably nothing to freak out about, but you might want to start monitoring her weight (if you can) while she's on the restricted diet. I bought a pet scale to weigh my cat when she was diagnosed with kidney disease. It measures to the tenth of an ounce and I watch my cat's weight like a HAWK since it's really bad for elderly cats to drop weight suddenly.

This is the scale I bought, but it's kind of pricey. You can probably find decent ones for far cheaper :}

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 03:48 PM
Premier Cat

Ewww, chicken balls. I for one love giving my cats treats they love. Everything in moderation of course.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 05:30 PM
Cat Addict

I can't quite get the idea of a low protein diet for cats BUT mine would love any eat based treat and I'd have to fight the off.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 09:47 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianwen View Post
I can't quite get the idea of a low protein diet for cats BUT mine would love any eat based treat and I'd have to fight the off.
It's usually prescribed for kidney problems. Some veterinarians will automatically prescribe lower protein diets for any cat over age 12 or so. "Low" is relative, it's still pretty high protein compared to what we would be eating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page