Persian open mouth breathing - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Persian open mouth breathing

Since receiving Allie as a kitten(doll face persian) when she plays extremely hard she opens her mouth to breathe. Only lasts for a short time..The first time I saw this I was alarmed and I guess I just passed it off as normal for the breed and got used to it.

She only does this when she runs non stop like a racing horse, climbing up sisal poles and going completely bonkers.

Someone told me to take her to the vet but really what could the vet do besides charge me money and recommend a surgery or something that I wouldnt do.

I really love Allie, did I get bad genetics or something. Am I now worried for nothing?

She just got neutered so she had a good physical exam recently
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 03:33 PM
Premier Cat

I would get her vet checked. Persian - especially pug faced Persians have a history of breathing difficulties. She may have a bad heart or asthma. Get her looked at at least you will know what you are dealing with.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 03:59 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt View Post
I really love Allie, did I get bad genetics or something. A
It's possible.

Quote:
...... what could the vet do besides charge me money and recommend a surgery or something that I wouldnt do.
You won't know until you take her and ASK. What happens if it's something that can be fixed with an 80.00 procedure and you never know because you never took her... in case it *MIGHT* be expensive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 04:33 PM
Tom Cat

I have some experience in this area. Jasper is also doll-faced. When he was little and played with reckless abandon I could have him with his mouth open, panting, in 15~25 minutes of intense chasing-type play. These days, he's considerably more regal (read: less inclined to chase things) but I can still coax him into panting with the right toy, usually after ~15 min of chasing.

Other than when he is panting from exertion, I've never seen Jasper mouth breath. When I told my vet about this (it worried me slightly too) she laughed and said he's fine and that it's common for Himalayans and Persians. So if that's the only time you observe this, I would think you'll be OK. There is definitely always something to be said for taking a 'better safe than sorry' tack with preventative health measures though, and I would encourage you to mention this your vet next time you go if you don't want to make an appointment for this specifically.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I would say in that regard that Allie also pants only after intense play and what I have seen is exactly what you have seen in Jasper..

She has never open mouth breathe if she was not physically exerted

Last edited by burt; 10-26-2015 at 06:18 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Senior Cat

Aggie is an American Shorthair, and she often times pants with her mouth open. I was very alarmed, like you, but after visiting the vet they said it was most likely heat exhaustion - which can be vary dangerous. I am not sure how the weather is like where you are (in Hawaii?) or whether your home is generally warm or cool, but trying to make Allie's surroundings as cool as possible. Like putting her on tiles in the kitchen, or putting an ice cube or two in her water, every little helps. Despite this, I would still suggest going to a vet if it continues for an extended period of time, more than 15 minutes non stop for instance.

Love to you and Allie <3
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 07:08 AM
Premier Cat

It would be inexpensive to ask to have her heart and lungs checked.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thank you for the replies, when I take Oliver for neutering in December I will talk to the vet or bring her in at the same time for a checkup.

She only does it for less then 30 secs, I never actually counted but its a very short while.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 04:55 AM
Cool Cat

Definitely get her heart checked out. Panting like that is a common sign of heart issues. When an animal (or person) has heart problems, they tire easily and have trouble breathing due to the lack of oxygen pumping.

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a common disease in Persians. It's important to find breeders that test for HCM and ensure their breeding stock is negative in their geneology.

I hope it isn't HCM or a heart problem and is something minor, but it's definitely something to rule out.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 05:00 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
I would say in that regard that Allie also pants only after intense play and what I have seen is exactly what you have seen in Jasper..

She has never open mouth breathe if she was not physically exerted
So does she only pant after a LOT of exercise? In that case, this may not be an alarming issue. But if she's panting at light playtime, that's a bigger sign of issues. But from what I've heard there are some cats who will pant during long/strenuous play sessions. I never play with my Persians to that point because they're lazy haha

But yes, as for costs, you could just ask the vet to listen very closely to her heart for anything irregular. Ask to listen to her breathing, lungs, etc. That should just be the usual checkup cost.

Last edited by Mandy and Ellie; 10-28-2015 at 05:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page