Re: Air travel for cats!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Re: Air travel for cats!!

Hi all! Since I've been working at the Airport, and helping out TSA, where everyone has to pass through, I wanted to add some personal observations, regarding traveling with your kitty!

Cats must be taken OUT of their carriers, and go through the screening, their owners are going through! (You're carrying them!)
The pet carrier goes through with all your other stuff, for screening...

Suggestion 1...After helping to corral a terrified kitty yesterday morning, I strongly suggest a kitty harness, as your back up plan!!

This particular poor little cat, had already pee'd in her soft carrier, and her owner didn't have a clean towel to put in it...no wonder the little cat wasn't happy about going back into that!
#2 Suggestion...invest in a small diaper bag (smell proof) that you could put a soiled towel in, and CARRY a couple of fresh towels, in case of accidents!

Suggestion #3...Please, please, please...Invest in a really good pet carrier, if you and a feline buddy are going to be doing a lot of traveling by plane!
(It only takes ONE mistake...)

The kitty, I helped to corral, had a really wimpy, soft sided carrier...the zippers pulled apart, way to easily, and the lady didn't have a back up plan, to secure that issue...
I was so worried about that kitty making it to their destination...

Suggestion #4...If you're going to be flying with your feline companion the next day, really consider cutting off the food and water, that night!
Think 'LIGHT' snack, and a 'BIT' of water...your cats tummy, and bladder, will thank you!
Feed, and water well, after your arrival!!

Suggestion #5...A Calming collar put on, a few days in advance, would help a lot, I'm sure!!

Please, please, please....Make sure your kitty has at Least a Rabies shot...just in case a kitty tries escaping, and bites someone, because of being terrified! Have a copy of that paperwork with you!
(This will save your kitty from possible quarantine issues!).

Make sure your cat can be identified!
Suggestion #6...If you haven't, get your kitty chipped!!! This IS a lifesaver!
Make sure, if your cat is already chipped, that ALL information is up to date!!

The Airlines aren't Heartless! If they can reunite a kitty and their owner, they'll do everything they can!!
BUT...you have to help them do that!

So far, with what I've seen, people put more thought into traveling with a dog...than they do their kitties...
And it's the Kitties, that Stress the most...

So this is just some thoughts from 'The Front Lines'...
I know how I'd be traveling with a kitty, on a plane now!!
Hope this helps people!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 08:05 PM
Senior Cat

This is so helpful, Sharon, thank you very much for sharing. It definitely takes actually going through the process of travelling with a companion animal that you know the do's and don'ts. Thank you again!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 08:23 PM
Premier Cat

One additional thing...

instead of towels, I'd suggest a pack of those medical pads. With the plastic on one side. That way they can be tossed and a fresh one put down instead of hauling around soiled towels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 11:54 PM
Premier Cat

Those disposable chux pads with the blue backing? Pretty much the same thing as puppy pee pads, but yeah, they are great for animal or human that may have accidents!

As always, Sharon gives great tips!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 02:55 AM
Cat Addict

Thanks for this information Sharon. At some time in the way distant future we have to do a major journey with ours and I am already planning so all detail helps. Stresses me hugely about doing it which is crazy when it's not even imminently
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

LOL! MowMow, that's Brilliant thinking! up:up:

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 04:30 AM
Cat

Travelling with cats can be difficult I hope things stay good and I never have to do this. For anyone who has to travel with their cats please plan it well they are special creatures and need us to watch out for them sometimes.

Cats are awesome special friends my cats are Oliver Whizzer Bull and Tarot
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 03:41 PM
Premier Cat

I hope the poor kitty had a nice, safe flight...

Informative, Sharon! Thanks!

I love soft carriers, but it only takes an inquisitive, SLIGHTLY smart cat to figure out he can put his paw through the zipper, and unzip the carrier.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 03:58 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemilk View Post
I love soft carriers, but it only takes an inquisitive, SLIGHTLY smart cat to figure out he can put his paw through the zipper, and unzip the carrier.
Yup. When I brought Spot home from the shelter in a soft carrier I had to zip-tie the zippers shut. He's definitely the more inquisitive of my two. Jasper just cries in the carrier until you let him out or he falls asleep

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 06:26 PM
Cool Cat

What an excellent post! Thanks for this *and* it's not just good for the air travel - it's good for all travel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page