Ear infection in newly adopted cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Ear infection in newly adopted cat

As of yesterday I've become a cat owner for the first time, Kibbles, my blonde, male tabby, is a very sweet one year old. I've been watching him in the shelter , days before I decided to adopt him, as it turns out he has an ear infection. I was very apprehensive, but the shelter informed me that they can only hold a cat for 24s, so I couldn't wait for the ear infection to go away. The employee assured me that just a few ear drops twice a day would do the trick, he only had eight more days of treatment left so I thought it would be simple enough. Today however, I've realized that, it's not so, I've tried three times already to give him his medcine, once by myself, once with help from another person, and another time by myself. I've only been able to get two drops into his ear, before him scratching me, and running under my bed. He came out an hour or so later, and was once again the friendly cat I knew, so I took the intitive to try again, only be scratched much worse this time. I've given him time but it seems he will not come out from under his bed and whenever he does come out as soon as he sees me he runs under my bed again. I would love to take him to a vet but today is Saturday and all hospitals are closed after 2pm, (currently 6pm) I am fearful that his infection will get worse and I'm not sure what to do to make him trust me again, I cannot take him to the vet until Monday. Anybody any advice on how to repair a bound with a cat and give ear drop medicine ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 01:35 AM
Premier Cat

Aw, congratulations on the new kitten! But oh boy, if he's already that resistant to ear drops, you'd better hope he doesn't have ear infections often. My cat gets them fairly frequently, and although she's super sweet and is not a scratcher, she absolutely HATES those eardrops. She's small and wriggly, and it's really hard to get drops in her ears. Sometimes, half of it ends up sprayed around the room, sometimes all of it ends up sprayed on both of us. And just like your Kibbles, after a couple of these attempts at getting drops in her ears, she runs when she sees me coming (I've had her for 14 years). If I persist, she's wary of me for a few days.

I don't know what kind of ear infection he has, or how severe it is, but I don't think there will be any bad consequences if you don't manage to get more drops in his ears, other than that the treatment won't be effective. But for that reason, you do need to find a way to get those drops in. One strategy is the "burrito" cat: wrap him in a towel so only his head is sticking out. It's unfortunate that you had to start giving him drops when he was brand new to you and your place. That might explain why he's reacting so aggressively. Don't worry about having to earn his trust back though - it won't take long.

What I'd probably do is call the vet once they're open and ask if it's ok to just restart the treatment in a week or so.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 03:08 AM
Cat Addict

Congrats on your new addition. He probably doesn't like the drops but also he's in a new place, new people and then this is probably all too much for him. I agree with Spirite, find out from the vet or shelter what the drops are for and what the issues would be if it stopped now to give you and him time to settle. Of course if he's in pain thats a different thing but if its wax or ear mites or something it might be OK. Kiki gets dirty ears ( after severe ear mites) so has to have them cleaned and when she them drops for a long time. I found that taking her to a smaller space like the bathroom made it better as she had less distractions and places to go. Then I sat on the floor and got her bewteen my legs with a towel over so she could wiggle but not escape. Then we did the drops and massage the ear which she seemed to like and a treat , then the other ear and the same. I also held her in the bathroom a little longer before opening the door so we kind of had closure to the event.
Hoping this is a one off illness for you and you get to enjoy having him as the lovely friendly cat all the time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page