New to forum - have a sick little girl and need advice... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

New to forum - have a sick little girl and need advice...

Highlights:

1 - 1.5 yr old female long-hair I've had since 6 wks old
2 - Spaid in July this year and vaccinated for FLV/FIV, tested negative prior to vaccines, also had distemper, rabies, etc.
3 - Uses dog-door (cat-door, since she uses it more than the dogs), goes in/out, potties outside and I haven't had litter box in house in 3 months. Typically in/out many times daily.
4 - Left Tuesday night/Weds morning sometime. Heavy rains Wednesday into Thurs. Returned Thursday at 5PM and looked like doo-doo.
5 - Anorexic, not eating, sleeping all the time. Saw vet Saturday morning, labs for kidney, liver, electrolytes, protein all normal. X-ray normal. Exam negative.
6 - No change in condition since Thurs evening.
7 - Vet gave me gabapentin for pain, referenced thought some pain in right hip area (not true...this cat has no pain in the right leg, she was pee-od they were messing with her and sticking thermometer up her butt).
8 - She is a slug. I am getting her up every hour putting her in front of water, hard and soft food. She eats some but not enough, expresses interest in food, but doesn't follow through. Drinks a little.
9 - Bowel movement last night that looked normal, but had a lot of mucus. Urinate last night, this morning and this evening.

She was gone 36-48 hours and who know what happened to her. There were extremely heavy rains Wednesday into Thursday morning. I suspect she camped out wherever she was and wouldn't come out due to rain, which began this whole process of anorexia. I question psychological issues as well.

Any suggestions for what it could be or what to do? I'm not real confident with this vet and have never saw her before, but she saw her on a Saturday and it wasn't an emergency vet fee.

Thanks,
Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 11:47 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Travis,
So sorry that your girl isn't doing well...
If she doesn't perk up quickly, I'd be taking her to a different vet, for a second opinion...
I suggest you get copies of any tests ran on her, bloodwork, etc...
Then you would have them to take with you, if you go for a second opinion...
I would also suggest a thorough mouth check...if she's showing interest in eating...but doesn't, it could be due to mouth pain...
I hope others will have some ideas and suggestions for you...
Meanwhile, sending some Healing Prayers for her...
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 07:23 AM
Senior Cat

My only other advice would be, try to offer your girl different kinds of food. Try different brands. Try some plain cooked chicken, or a raw egg yolk (not raw white, just the yolk. If you give egg whites, make sure they're cooked). Maybe even a little bit of plain cheese. See if she has zero overall appetite for anything (even though she has interest in food), or if she just wants something "else".

Also, Fancy Feast Classic canned flavors have the (deserved!) reputation as being nearly irresistible to cats. My old girl (17 years old) has days when she doesn't feel like eating her normal food, but she'll eat every last speck of Fancy Feast Classic. It's also cheap and easy to find, which is a plus!

Your girl could also be having nausea or too much stomach acid. It's a symptom that happens often to kitties who have kidney failure, so I can point you towards a site that could give you some things to try:

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Nausea, Vomiting, Appetite Loss and Excess Stomach Acid

I know there's a lot of scary-sounding stuff on there, but don't worry about your kitty having kidney failure or anything else of that nature - her bloodwork/urinalysis sounds like it came up normal in that regard. But you might consider some of the treatments for excess stomach acid - raising up her bowl so she doesn't have to bend over to eat, or giving her some Pepcid or Zantac (yep, just like a human with heartburn!)

Good luck with your girl. I hope she feels better soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 08:44 AM
Cat Addict

Try offering her some raw or home cooked food. the fact that her tests are normal and that she has actually used the litter is good but don't let her back out until you are sure all is working. And get a second opinion from a vet.

Last edited by Arianwen; 11-03-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page