dentals for senior kitties - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

dentals for senior kitties

The vet said Celia needs another dental. She had one last Sept., just 14 months ago. So a couple of questions:

1. She's never needed a dental again so soon after she had one. Is this related to aging? She's 15.5 years old.

2. How worried should I be about anesthesia? She's healthy, but she did have an adverse reaction to her vaccinations in 2013, then to Revolution last December.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Is it gingivitis or plaque?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Just plaque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

I think I'd be more apt to do another dental if it was gingivitis. I'm not sure about doing it for plaque, at her age.

Cleo has really bad teeth, too. I'm sure, even though she just had a dental this year, another will be recommended at her next check-up.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 05:55 AM
Senior Cat

My girl Wintressia just had a dental cleaning last month. She's 17 and has all kinds of health issues (CRF, IBS, hyperthyroid). She had no problems with anesthesia and came through the procedure just fine. But she's literally never had an adverse reaction to anything, so she might just be pretty hardy in that regard. I'd be a bit more concerned about Celia since she has a history of reactions, but maybe your vet can let you know if they think she'll still be okay.

I'm not sure about how "often" a cat (senior or otherwise) needs dental cleaning... I'm going to guess it's more related to their diet as opposed to their age. It's been forever since Win's last dental cleaning (I couldn't drive at all last year due to vision issues, and her regular vet is pretty far away, and my family doesn't believe in healthcare for pets) so I can't really give you an idea of how often it should be done, sorry :{

I'd ask your vet point-blank why they think Celia needs another dental, and if she'll be okay if she DOESN'T get it. If it's just plaque build-up and nothing she's going to lose teeth over, then it might be more worth the peace of mind/risk of skipping the procedure, since there IS anesthesia involved.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks marie and lakotawolf. I wish I'd thought about anesthesia when he mentioned the dental, but it didn't occur to me until whenever it was that I posted. I'll be bringing her in next month for her 6-month bloodwork next month, so I figured we'd just do the bloodwork and dental together. But now I'm not sure. I'll ask what the risks are if she doesn't have one done. Thanks again!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 01:27 AM
Premier Cat

Hi Spirite!
I'm including a link I had running about Grandma Callie...
Post #35, by LaurieF, gives VERY good advice about dentals for Senior kitties!
Hope it helps, in your decision making, for Miss Celia!
S.
Hope the link works!

https://www.catforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249050

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Hi 10cats, thanks for finding that link. I totally forgot that dental was in that thread! I checked it out, and the closest place is in Raleigh, NC, which is a 3-hour drive from here. I don't think I want to do that. She'd be so stressed from a 3-hour car ride.

So I guess I'll ask the vet whether the anesthesia is a bigger risk than plaque build-up leading to later problems. Ak. Just checked her dental from last September, and she did have a tooth pulled. That would make me lean towards having the dental done. Poor thing. She was at the regular vet 4 times and the emergency vet once in July (for the constipation issues).
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Premier Cat

Spirite,
I'm about to be in the same quandary as you...
Grandma Callie has a Terrible Sinus infection, it just blew up big time, she had sniffles, and sneezing, which I was giving her L-lysine for, obviously it didn't help in her case, and what I'm really afraid of, it goes back to that one really bad tooth, that she had, before she got here, that I had held off on, last year...
She's 16 years old now...

I'm taking her in tomorrow for a updated blood panel, treatment for her infection, and to talk over with the vet, about her health, as far as her chances for tooth removal, and cleaning, goes...

I'm also taking in my Avatar kitty, Miss Peaches, for her Senior blood panel, and to get her teeth cleaned, I was checking her records, and I couldn't believe she's 12 1/2 years old where does the time go...?

Care Credit is about to get a work out again...
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page