Robin's got ear fungus AGAIN!? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Robin's got ear fungus AGAIN!?

This is the 3rd time! He's had it twice before, each time, the vet's given me an anti-fungal, and we've been able to bring it under control. This morning, he was letting me know it was breakfast time, when he shook his head and started scratching. I called the doc, and he's going back in.Could I be bringing this home from the shelter where I volunteer?I always wear gloves and wash up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 11:11 PM
Premier Cat

I commiserate. Celia's very prone to ear infections. If Robin's ear infections started after you started volunteering, then it's possible that there's a connection - maybe he's particularly sensitive to something that you're bringing from the shelter.

Celia's infections aren't usually fungal, but the last one was. Usually, when she starts digging at her ears, I give her Zymox. But last time, the vet gave me something else. It smelled positively awful, but it started working immediately.

Poor Robin. I hope you'll be able to get him some relief with the medication!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Well, he's going in Monday at 3. Dr Ashley will be checking him out. That's his favorite vet.

Last edited by bluemilk; 11-07-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I took Robin in today. Dr. Ashley determined that he has a mild ear infection. I have to swab and put antibiotic cream in his ears. I'll do that in a few minutes, before I go to work. I dunno. Robin fought Dr. Ashley tooth and nail, and she's his favorite vet!

She showed me how to do it, and Robin bucked and growled.

Maybe if I warm the swabbing solution? So it's not so cold in his ears?

Dr. Ashley assured me this is not something I brought home from the shelter where I volunteer. Ear infections of this kind are a seasonal thing.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 08:32 AM
Cool Cat

Sorry about this ear problem. It seems to me that cats are like people: may be prone to some particular health issue. Like some people always get chest colds and others seem always to have sinus trouble or intestinal bugs.

I wonder what causes that and how it can be overcome. Is it diet? Perhaps a weakness in the individual system? Is it sensitivity to something in food or environment? Who knows? I hope you can figure it out for Robin and be done with it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Well, I swabbed his ears, gave him the antibiotic salve... still have all my fingers...

I'm thinking, this is where alternative medicine might be able to help.

He's never had ear mites or even ear WAX, just infections, fungal and microbiotic.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Well, it looks like Robin's over the infection! His ears are squeaky clean, and healthy looking. There's still a little irritation, but Dr. Ashley says that's from the swabbing, which I can stop, now. I just have to apply the salve for 2 more days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page