dry, itchy skin? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

dry, itchy skin?

My cat doesn't have fleas. Its getting cold, the heat is on in the house, and now she is scratching and grooming herself A LOT, and the hairballs keep coming up. I've got a humidifier going nonstop.

What can I do to help her dry skin? I've read about fish oil- can I cut open a capsule thats meant for people and put it on her food?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 01:43 AM
Senior Cat

You can absolutely give fish oil to a cat. It's done wonders for my 17-year-old cat - her coat is so much softer and cleaner.

I personally give my cat Iceland Pure Sardine-Anchovy Oil (it comes in a pump bottle and she gets 1-2 pumps a day) but you can also give a cat certain "human" grade fish oil supplements. Avoid liver-origin oils (such as cod liver oil) and vegetable-based oils (like flaxseed oils). I believe you also want to stick to Omega 3 only, as well, since cats don't need Omega 6 or Omega 9.

There's a website called Tanya's CRF that is aimed at cats who have kidney failure (CRF/CKD) but it has some good advice in general for fish oil supplements, if you'd like to read about them in detail and get some guidance for dosages and the like:

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Nutritional Requirements of CKD Cats

Again, it's aimed at cats like mine who are in renal failure, but the advice about fish oil dosage is sound and applies to healthy cats as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you very much. That link is quite helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 12:37 AM
Premier Cat

I think the extra moisture + fish oil helps my Maya a lot. They don't eat kibbles, but Maya still had a bit of dry, flakey dandruff on her back end near the tail especially for while despite her super healthy diet. I find that wet food also helps with hairballs. I think I only had like 2 incidents this year, and I barely brush them these days--they're both DSH, so don't need much brushing anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page