Hi there! Advice needed about fostering untested kittens/FELV - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi there! Advice needed about fostering untested kittens/FELV

Hello all!

I'm Shannon! Proud mother of a black cat named George and a Tortoise Shell named Pasta who I am obsessed with!

I wanted to see if anyone had insight to the following.. I'm currently fostering 3 kittens who's mother abandoned them. Kitten Rescue (an organization in LA) will be putting them up for adoption when they're old enough. Right now they are about 6.5 weeks and have been living with me for about 2.5 weeks. Anyway, I have the two cats already and have been super concerned about them catching FeLV from these kittens (if they're infected) since they're too young to be tested yet. I've been keeping the baby cats secluded in they're own room and scrub my hands every time I leave the room where the kittens are and have done my best to not track any litter when I go into the other parts of the house. The cats have had no contact with the kittens but i'm still worried. Every time one of my cats have a runny nose or takes an extra long nap i'm fearful they've contracted something.

Has anyone had a similar experience with housing non-tested fosters or have any additional info about FeLV and how easily it's contracted? I just don't know how paranoid I should be and am trying to ease my mind since i've been taking what I think to be proper precautions. Anything would help!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 05:00 PM
Cat Addict

It sounds to me like you're pretty safe already. The only other thing you could do (which is overkill for anything short of fleas, mites, and ringworm - IMO) would ba having special 'foster' smocks or sweats to wear that you change out of immediately after leaving the foster room.

FeLV is spread via direct contact - deep bites, mutual grooming, mother's milk (assuming the mother is FeLV+) or very rarely through sharing litter, and food/water bowls.

Basically, your cats are safe. It's a good thing to be aware of though, as you should be keeping the kittens separate from your cats until everyone is cleared for all possible communicable diseases.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 05:07 PM
Cat Addict

Mine are vaccinated against that but we have found kittens who have not been tested and , thankfully, have never had anyone pick up anything from them. As I understand it, and I'm sure people will correct if necessary, that is more easily passed on between friendly cats than FIV is but you seem to be doing everything possible - they aren't exchanging fluids (even via dishes) so all should be well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page