Allie's Strange Finicky Eating Behavior - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Allie's Strange Finicky Eating Behavior

I have two kittens, one with no worries, the other my white doll face persian Allie with finicky behavior.

She only weighs 6 pounds 6 ounces and has been bouncing around at this weight for a month.

Any little noise especially when shes eating disturbs her, not all the time but a lot.

Today for example..

I feed them both natural balance ultra canned, Oliver eats like a pig Allie begins covering her food after 60 seconds and walks out the door. I open a canned of friskies beef gravy and bring her back inside. She eats for two minutes and walks outside.

I follow her outside and feed her on top of her cat tree, she eats for quite a while and then comes down. I then put her food on a shallow plate(her bowl is already shallow)and put the plate on the floor in front of her face. She eats yet again for couple of minutes and is now finished.

Similar behavior almost every day, sometimes when shes covering her food I will stick a fork in her food and play with it and make a pile in the middle of her bowl. She will then proceed to eat again, if I am not watching she will walk away and not eat anymore...

I am not working right now so I am around to cater to her, if im working will she starve with her silly behavior?

I cater to her because shes a slim jim and I want a fatter heavier cat, her younger brother is not nearly as long as her but almost weighs the same as her.

She has me wrapped around her paws, I end up buying a whole bunch of pricey fancy feast purely food etc...Sometimes I end up going to the store special, they both was brought up on natural balance dry and ultra canned.

I try to feed them late at 9 am to make them extra hungry, sometimes it works with Allie, most times it does not. I do have dry natural balance that she munches on during the night in my room, but she eats that like a flea also..

Sometimes she holds out for fancy feast purely, if I dont eat this surely my owner will give me something better. The downside is if I do not she starves herself

Last edited by burt; 11-09-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

You might be feeding her too much at a time. How much and how often do you feed them?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

3 times a day with wet food, 8:30am canned, 2pm she gets a fancy feast purely which she loves or a gravy sensations, 6pm leftovers..

She eats all the purely...My concern is why does she stop eating and wants me to cater to her for her to continue eating..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Can you space out the feedings more - like when you get up, when you go to bed, and half-way in between the two? How much do you feed her at one time? My girls are kind of small, Cali is 7.25 lbs., Charlee is about 7.50, sometimes a tiny bit more. They eat at 7:00 a.m., 5:30 p.m. and 12:30-1:00 a.m. When the food is spaced out more, they're hungrier and eat a little better.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 03:56 PM
Tom Cat

When I started to run into behavior like this with Jasper, it was when his 'kitten appetite' was starting to taper off. That might be something to keep in mind. I moved from four (necessary at the time, believe me ) feedings a day to three, and now two with him and Spot being adults.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 04:15 PM
Cool Cat

I deal with this with my two Persians. I feed them, they come running. They take a bite or two and walk away. They come back an hour or so later to eat more. Sometimes (rarely) they'll actually finish their food in one sitting, but usually they just come and take a few bites at a time and then leave. It's annoying for sure since they waste a lot of wet food this way. I've had to introduce dry back into their diets (Orijen) just to get them to eat enough! Nothing like picky cats...

Ellie is my worst. I have to do what you do with Allie, I have to literally bring the food to her or bring her to the food just to get her to eat some wet food... even then she just walks away and ignores it most of the time, or only licks the gravy. She can drive me crazy, such a spoiled little diva haha.

Last edited by Mandy and Ellie; 11-09-2015 at 04:17 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I think Mandy nailed it, Oliver on the other hand is Allies opposite, appetite wide and behavior. I end up throwing lots of pricey wet food away, except for fancy feast purely or appetizers, she mauls those up.

Last edited by marie73; 11-09-2015 at 05:12 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

You're really not leaving enough time between the 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. feedings, though. Plus, the later you feed them, the better they seem to sleep through the night.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I will try spacing feedings apart...Thank you all for the advise

Of coursse ill still need to hold Allies paw for her to eat
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

I had to sit with Cinderella, too. And talk to her. And tell her how beautiful she was and what a good girl she was. Nooooo, she wasn't spoiled at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page