Advice for the Pooh Bear - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Advice for the Pooh Bear

Hi All,

It has been a while since I posted any messages on the forum. It has been probably since this summer. I just found out that my cat has diabetes and she is also showing signs of kidney failure. Pooh just turned 17 this month and is about 9.86lbs. She has been gradually losing weight since May. The vet is recommending that we start her on insulin 2 times a day and diabetic food. She will also have to take a pill daily for her kidneys. The vet says with treatment she may have a year left. All cats are different so it could be longer or shorter. Without treatment she may have about a month. We had her blood work done last week and just got the results back today. We had another cat, Babes, who had kidney failure and she wouldn't eat nor want to be around in the area that we were sitting in. We did the treatment with her through the fluids but she just stopped eating and we had to put her down. Does anyone have experience with cats who are doing this same treatment and if so how do you find it for your cat? I just don't want her to be in pain. That's my biggest concern. I just want to know that I'm doing the right thing with her. I think the plan is to try the treatment for a bit until my husband gets home in about 6 weeks and then go from there. The treatment will be about $150 to $200 per month for what she needs. Please if anyone has any advice, opinions then that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Cat Addict

I can't offer any advice but I really feel for you.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 08:52 AM
Cool Cat

Sympathy offered. I hadn't much luck with treatments for kidney failure, only seemed to be dragging out the illness. Never dealt with diabetes. I hope she likes the foods she will be offered. Sometimes they don't and that feels (to me) like adding insult to injury. Tough decisions. Keep a careful watchful eye and be prepared to move quickly as soon as things go downhill. You know the signs already. When it is *time* don't let the vet's front office put you off for a week... they need to know that "now" means "today".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page