tail removal? thoughts? prices? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

tail removal? thoughts? prices?

Hey guys, so recently I adopted a two year old seal point siamese cat from the local shelter. He's super sweet and loving, and super special (he's got an extra toe on each paw!). However he also has a stubbed tail, but not a full stubbed tail, its about 3 inches long and its lays firmly against him. He doesn't seem to be able to move it , so i'm not sure if perhaps it was a birth defect or maybe he had an accident and got part of it removed (although I would find that unlikely since they did not remove the whole thing). Anyways, the shelter we got him from didn't know what happened either, but they did inform us that because it lays right over his anus, it tends to get poop stuck on it every time he uses the litter box and has also caused him skin irritation in the past. However its begun causing even more problems since we brought him home. not only do we have to wipe him after each poop, but if he goes when we aren't home he kind of tracks it all over the apartment and anywhere he sits. I think it's also interfered with his grooming, because whenever he begins grooming he stops as soon as he reaches his rear end, and its caused him to develop a certain nasty smell. In general its all kind of frustrating and unhygienic for both my family and the cat.

We've come to the conclusion that the most effective way to solve this would be to remove the remaining 3 inches so that he can carry on about his business without any complications. I feel bad about getting it removed but he doesn't seem to have any feeling in it, since i poked it a few times and he makes no reaction. I'm also a bit worried about the price. I looked up some other peoples stories and I've seen prices ranging from $90 to well over $1,000. What would be a fair price for this? any information would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 04:55 AM
Cat Addict

I don't have personal experience with amputated tails but I know people who have had to do this due to injured tails and they normally amputate to about half an inch or an inch The cats have been absolutely fine after a few days but he is already used to no tail. If its causing him issues in cleaning and grooming and then other issues like the skin irritation it would be better to do this for him. It sounds like its more hindrance to him. Best to get a vet to check as he may have no feeling, but also to ensure its not an issue further up the spine. Good luck
Can't help on price as in the wrong country
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 12:47 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Mermaid,
If, after, a good set of x-rays, shows no other spinal issues, my opinion would be to get his tail docked, so the other health issues associated with his tail just hanging in the way of everything, gets resolved...
Poor little guy...
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 03:51 PM
Premier Cat

I would definitely recommend getting his tail docked. It will make him much happier and able to clean himself, and yourself at not having to clean him up after each poop. I have no idea of the price it would cost, but $1000 sounds too much to me.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 12:29 AM
Premier Cat

Well, my cat G had his tail amputated this past summer, due to a very unfortunate accident on my part.

I went to the E-vet, and his amputation cost me about $350, and extra for pain meds. I think costs can vary, depending on location, but E-vets are generally expensive for the most part. He got about 3-4 inches taken off from the end from fractures (he had a normal sized long tail). The biggest hurdle for me was keeping him coned effectively while trying not to keep him so depressed. Pain management was also a big thing for the first few days too, but I don't know if your cat will need it if he currently feels no sensation or movement as you claim.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 09:27 AM
Cat Addict

That would be way too much here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page