Sick kitty question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Sick kitty question

Hi there,
For those who remember my old kitty Mia from back in June/July, I'm back with another question. I'll recap her problems. She has hyperthyroidism and intestinal issues that cause chronic stomach issues/diarrhea. She is on methimazole (ear paste, not oral) for her hyperthyroidism & prednisilone, vitamin wise she gets liquitinic 4x, bm tone up gold, & probiotics (ultimate flora). So, my other cat got an upper respiratory infection from some cat outside that he fought with, and of course since Mias immune system is so bad, it passed on to her before we even knew our other cat had it, she slowed down with eating so we took her to the vet (they said she was ok, just dehydrated so she stayed a night on fluids), then after a day she started her sneezing fits, we went back and got a covenia shot, shes getting better slowly but shes not eating enough cat food (shes on raw but I've tried canned for the past few days cuz I just want her to eat, now she won't even eat canned, now its baby food). Btw becuase of her issues and her age, 19ish, she has a lot of weight problems, shes a normal frame sized cat, but shes only 5.1 lbs (since we got her 2 years ago), so food is extremely important and she cant afford to lose anything else. So I'm giving her baby food (no onions or anything in them) so she gets something in her stomach, she switches between some raw when I catch her in a moment that she can smell normally, and mostly baby food. She eats a lot of baby food, which is good eating wise, but I know its not healthy long term, so I read a lot of people mix in kitten formula, so I got KMR and I'm mixing little bits of powder in her baby food, so she gets some of the stuff she needs at least while shes recovering. So has anyone heard of this? Is it ok? Or are there any other suggestions that anyone has for her nutrition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have any experience with her issues, but a short-term solution might be some Nutri-Cal for extra calories. Poor little girl.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 11:50 AM
Cool Cat

i'm so sorry she is sick. : (

my only thought is in regard to her smelling. I know that some people in here have put their kitties in steamy bathrooms for 10 minutes at a time to help clear up their sinuses. maybe that will at least help with her ability to smell the food and be more interested in it. you could just bring her in the bathroom while you're taking a nice hot shower or something if your bathroom is small enough to get steamy. otherwise, maybe a vaporizer in the room. I know I need to use a vaporizer this time of year myself for me and my kitty because the air gets so dry.

you could always resort to a little tuna or salmon or sardine juice on her food too if you're willing and she likes them. those have very strong smells.

hope she gets better soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Bone Broth

Bone Broth Is Excellent Nourishment for Older Pets

You can make it yourself from the recipe at the link above (although I'd use a crock pot). Or...Honest Kitchen has come out with a powdered form that you just mix with water. Check at an independent pet food store in your area.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Premier Cat

If stuffy nose is part of the issue (you mentioned when she can smell it, she'll eat raw) have you tried steaming her?

MowMow loves steaming in the winter, even when he isn't sick. So we do it often, but whenever someone has a herpes flare it's the first thing we do.

About 20 minutes before meal time I take the invalid into the bathroom (turn off any overhead fan of course) turn the shower on FULL hot. As hot as it will go. I roll a towel up and shove it up against the door to prevent steam escape. Then I flop on the floor with the invalid and we soak in the hot steam for as long as the hot water tank lasts. Once the hot water gives out I turn the water off, I leave them in there with the door cracked so they can leave if they wish. 99% of the time the invalid remains in the warm wet heat and just soaks it in while I get dinner ready.

I find that clears my guys up enough to let them eat in comfort.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 08:36 AM
Cool Cat

You remind me of my mom... when I had a cold she'd put on the teakettle and boil water, make a towel tent over it and I'd have my head in there breathing the steamy hotness. It did help clear/loosen things a good deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page