Any possible harm with bed bugs? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Any possible harm with bed bugs?

I just found a bug in my room that looks like a bed bug. I live in an apartment with different buildings and there have been some units in other buildings that were treated but I was told they couldn't move between the buildings. I believe this is false, and I wonder what should I do regarding Belle if I do need the apartment to be treated?
They use some kind of heat pumped into the apartment and I don't know if she should be placed in a boarding place until this is done or if she can stand the heat they use. I'm going to speak with the manager tomorrow but I have no idea when it comes to bed bugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 03:38 AM
Cat Addict

HI,
I found this on the website of a company we use for bug treatment. I work in the furniture industry, so we have to do a lot of preventative treatments where we store goods.
Treatment
  • Bed bug infestations are usually managed by licensed pest control operators who are trained in treating homes with bed bugs.
  • Once bed bugs are confirmed in the home, a pest control company will treat the premise using either environmentally applied pesticides or heat treatment. Pets should be removed during application of treatment. Repeated treatments may be necessary to eliminate the infestations.
  • The pest control company can also provide advice about cleaning bedding and upholstered materials to eliminate the bed bugs.
  • When pets are present, their bedding should be laundered using hot (>120F) water and high heat in the dryer. If a pet bed is torn or has holes preventing thorough cleaning, the bedding should be discarded.
  • Premise sprays containing insecticides such as imidacloprid are also available for treating bed bugs and may be of value in managing some home infestations.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 07:00 AM
Premier Cat

I feel for you. I think I would have the heebee jeebees all the time. Every little itch would worry me non stop. Aside form psychological harm to you, I would not overly worry. Bed bugs are not fatal.

If you can't fine a friend to hang with for the day then board the kitty and go to a movie or two or twelve. Personally, I'd see if I can go visit grandma for a few days or something. Then I would buy some bug killer from Home Depot (Home Defense 6 or 12 month brand is good). Then I would routinely spray in the back of the bed and the mattress seams, etc.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page