Raising a kitten on Dave's? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Raising a kitten on Dave's?

Theoretically, we might get a kitten in a month or so when he's ready to go. We're not sure. He's a little blind lynx point siamese that's currently in rescue--I found him and sent him straight to the rescue because I was afraid he'd pass away overnight and I did not have the time resources to look after a kitten who needed round the clock care at that time.

The last time I had a kitten, it was before the Great Pet Food Recall and I fed him Iams Kitten. Obviously I know better now! Peter, my adult, eats Dave's and loves it. He'll eat chicken, but apparently this little tiny kitten hates chicken and would rather starve to death than eat any food containing chicken (but turkey is fine!).

This is fine, as Dave's makes chicken-free formulae, but I'm just wondering if Dave's is really appropriate for a growing kitten? Is there a more appropriate food at a similar price point? I haven't had a kitten in years and years and I've only ever had the one and I just want to make sure that, if we really do get this tiny little man he'll have everything he needs for health. He had a really cruddy start, after all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Dave's is an adult/maintenance food, so no...not appropriate for a baby kitten. That said...it's way better than anything that you'd find on the grocery store shelves, even the kitten formulas.

Since he had a rough start, I would use a kitten or all life stages food for a few months and then switch him over to Dave's...maybe around 6 months. Holly was on adult Wellness when she was about 4-5 months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Cat

So many of the kitten formulae that I'm finding are really high in carbohydrate. >.< And Wellness's kitten has chicken in. Most of the kitten ones do--they had to syringe feed him for a week before they found a chicken-free food and he'll eat anything chicken-free. I've spent most of my morning reading ingredients and this kitten is sounding like so much work with his chicken hate and food needs.

The Dave's 95% line does include, at least online, this statement for the Salmon one: Dave’s Simply the Best 95% Salmon Pate for Cats is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.

He's had a rough start and he'll be three months if we get him. The rescue keeps them until three months and neuters/spays at that point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidercatshuman View Post

The Dave's 95% line does include, at least online, this statement for the Salmon one: Dave’s Simply the Best 95% Salmon Pate for Cats is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.
That's interesting because the rest of the 95% line says maintenance on their website. I'd check a can to make sure.

If you choose to feed Dave's at 3 months I don't think you'll do any harm. You could always give him a supplement along with it like Wholistic Pet Feline Complete (powder) or Pet Naturals Daily Best (treat form).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Cat

It is weird. Unfortunately no stores here sell Dave's--I get it delivered--so I can't go check a can.

I'm still looking for a good, low-carb kitten food or ALS food, but so many of them have biologically inappropriate ingredients (chickpeas???) or chicken. I'm even looking at some of the freeze dried raw options, trying to find a food that would be somewhat affordable. We DO feed fish in our household, which I know is not ideal but Peter, at least, will eat anything we put in front of him that smells vaguely like food and doesn't care if there's fish or not. I AM a little worried about giving a picky little man fish but the biologically appropriate foods that are ALS or kitten seem to come in either chicken or fish.

Gah.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 11:34 AM
Tom Cat

Jasper loved Wellness kitten when he was a baby. He ate it 2X as fast as ANY other food I've given him, then or now.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Wellness Kitten is chicken based and little man will not eat chicken in any form. He would rather starve and had to be syringe fed for a week before they figured out he wouldn't eat chicken.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidercatshuman View Post
It is weird. Unfortunately no stores here sell Dave's--I get it delivered--so I can't go check a can.
I can check for you when I get to work on Sunday (my weekend is Fri/Sat).

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I would really, really appreciate that! Thanks, Doodlebug. I'm hoping that maybe it will turn out it's an ALS food. It would make my life way easier. If we get this little guy, I want to do right by him, but his hatred of chicken and my hatred of biologically inappropriate foods is making it hard to figure out how.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page