Low Salt Food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Low Salt Food?

Hi, so I made a thread in the Behavior forum about how my 7-year-old female DLH keeps peeing just outside the litter box...I took her to the vet yesterday and am waiting for urinalysis results, but I have a feeling they're going to tell me she has crystals. I had been feeding her the Hills C/D prescription diet for a couple of years, as was recommended by a previous vet, but it didn't seem to make any difference, and I realized there were no special ingredients in it, and furthermore it was mostly corn and fillers--so why was I paying $80 a bag?? I then put her on Wellness for a few months, again no difference, but didn't seem any worse, and then decided to try the Nature's Variety Instinct Grain-Free, because it's the same price as Wellness but with less carbs and more meat. She's only been on that for a couple of weeks. I've also started giving her canned food in the mornings, but I'm just feeding Friskies because I'm trying to save a little money since I am buying such expensive dry food. But the vet said that has a lot of salt, and I looked at the dry food in Petco yesterday and they all listed salt, or potassium chlorides, in the ingredients but none of them gave a percentage. Does anyone have any recommendations?? Thanks, Erin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Ditch the dry food and go all canned. The salt is not the problem, it's the lack of moisture in the dry and the fact that cats don't drink enough to make up for the difference between dry and natural prey.

AAFCO requires certain levels of salts in order to maintain electrolyte balance, if the ingredients don't have it naturally then it needs to be added.

And seriously....what vet knows what the salt levels are in a specific food, especially when it's not even something that's on their can or website. He's blowing smoke to keep you on his prescription crap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 09:50 PM
Premier Cat

Agree with all Doodlebug said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 10:49 PM
Cool Cat

I use canned food and mix in some water. Cat food "soup" or cat food "stew", morning and night. Bowl gets licked clean every time.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I'm sorry to be such a pain, everyone, but I have a question. I started feeding my cats Nature's Variety Instinct Grain-Free about 3 weeks ago, and have been giving them canned food in the mornings (Friskies) because my female wasn't drinking enough water. They were devouring the wet food, but now are leaving about half of it. On the other hand, I haven't noticed my female peeing outside of the litter box for almost a week now, so maybe it's OK? Thoughts?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 12:06 AM
Premier Cat

It might just be that the canned food excited them at first, but that they don't really like the flavor/texture. Since your kitties like wet food, when you get through the bag of Instinct dry, why don't you switch them to all wet? I get Instinct dry too, rabbit flavor, and it is really expensive. But if you stop spending that money for dry, then you may be able to get a better quality wet food.

Try out different flavors and textures of Friskies, to get a sense of what they like. Some cats will only eat pate style, and others will eat anything but pate. Once you find 2 or 3 things that they like, then you can look for similar things but of a better quality.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 02:15 AM
Cat

^ I definitely second what spirite said. When I switched my senior onto wet she had a bit of trouble shaking her finickiness with certain foods..

For the longest time I thought she'd only eat pate (since she loved Friskies pate, but turned her nose up at the shreds/fillets), but as it turns out, she liked food with a canned tuna fish-like texture - with water-y sauce, not gravy - as well.

And, after trying nearly two dozens brands, I tried giving her a can of the grain-free pate that my kittens gobbled up. At first, she turned her nose up to it. Then I left for a moment, came back, and found her eating it. Now, she happily eats it without complaint.

Some cats will drive you up a wall with their picky behavior. :P All you can do is stay patient but persistent.

Proud parent of Scamper (age 12) and Robin (age 4)
At the rainbow bridge: Slippy, Faramir, Gabriel, Lucky, Ammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page