Best flea medication? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Best flea medication?

Does anybody know if Diatomaceous Earth works on cats? Trying to keep it safe for my kitty's. Anybody have any good information on proven flea killers?

Diatomaceous Earth 100% works in a house but needs to be heavy in the carpet. Plus it takes about 3-4 weeks to rid the fleas due to the life cycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 09:07 AM
Senior Cat

I would never use diatomaceous earth on a living creature, cat or otherwise. It can be extremely harmful when inhaled. It's made up of the tiny silica-based exoskeletons of diatoms, and each individual particle is SHARP. And even diatomaceous earth that is composed mainly of amorphous silica still usually contains some crystalline silica, which is extremely harmful to the lungs. It can cause issues in a human, and I'd think those issues would be accelerated and exacerbated on a creature with smaller lungs. Even if it's somehow pure amorphous silica, it will still make creatures cough (as it is dust-particle-sized) if it is breathed in.

The truth is, there aren't any real studies on long-term breathing in or ingesting of diatomaceous earth. A lot of people believe it's beneficial and will eat it, but they can never produce actual scientific studies proving it's beneficial, or studies proving it ISN'T harmful. At the very least, it will dry out the cat's skin. IMO it isn't worth the risk except to treat carpet and furniture. Never on a living creature.

And I know some people FEED it to their animals - yet everywhere states that diatomaceous earth loses its efficacy if it gets wet. Yet it's apparently beneficial for an animal to ingest it into its extremely wet digestive tract...?

I have used Revolution on my 17-year-old cat, who has kidney failure, IBS, and hyperthyroidism. I have used the Revolution on her for years. I have never seen a single negative effect on her from using this product, and it is wholly efficient in destroying the entire flea life cycle for 4+ weeks. My cat is not harmed by using this product; she has never shown a side effect and she has PLENTY of pre-existing health issues that could cause issues - but the product has never harmed her.

In my opinion, there is nothing more proven and more effective than prescription-level flea control products such as Revolution. Over-the-counter medications (not requiring a vet prescription) can contain dangerous chemicals. And other "flea control" methods can be very dangerous to cats - such as using essential oils.

Again, I have used diatomaceous earth myself - in my house; in my carpeting and on the furniture. I vacuumed it up after a few days and NEVER allowed my cat to come into contact with it. It was not worth the unknown possible risks to my cat. People who have used it internally and/or breathed it will probably sing its praises, but it's a bit too "magical" of a remedy for me.

Stick to proven fleakillers like Revolution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 09:53 AM
Cat

I have used Revolution on my cats for a couple years now and have never seen any side effects.

I had 2 foster kittens who of course had fleas but were too young/small for Revolution. I gave them a dose of Capstar and a bath in Dawn dish soap. The Capstar can be given to kittens as small as 1.5 lbs. It's a small pill and I just put it in their wet food.

It's only effective at killing adult fleas so you would have to give another dose or two over the next couple weeks.

You can get it without a prescription at Petsmart for around $42 for 6 tablets. But Chewy.com has it for around $20.

The Capstar didn't seem to cause any adverse side effects on the kittens. They were around 6 weeks old at the time. I gave them each 2 doses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:08 PM
Cool Cat

Revolution is my favorite. Not only does it kill fleas, it also kills ear mites, roundworm, hookworm and it prevents heartworm. Both of my cats and my mom's cat do fantastic on it. I do believe it's still prescription only, but I get mine at the vet clinics held at pet stores. They give your pet a free exam and all you have to pay for is the medicine itself.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 08:44 PM
Premier Cat

^ Everything that M & E said.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 11:59 PM
Cat

One more thing about Revolution; my vet said the Revolution rep told them it will also work on ticks but they can't put it on the packaging for some reason. I can't remember exactly what.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 11:26 AM
Cat

Seresto flea collar has been the most successful flea treatment to date. Expensive at around $47 from Amazon but it lasts 7 months. With the collar there is no need to apply drops or anything else during the time the collar is on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page