15 Yr Old Midnight and health issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Cat

15 Yr Old Midnight and health issues

Hiya folks,

Just wanting some opinions. My 15 year old Midnight has had repeated tooth infections over the last few years which had been being cleared with a course of antibiotics.. He was also recently ( a few weeks ago) diagnosed with both hyperthyroidism( on medication) and CKD.
Vet said he'd like to try to get the hyperthyroid under control before addressing CKD and is concerned kidney function is actually worse than bloods showed as high thyroid can mask poor kidney function.
My query is this..
What is the likely hood that with the next tooth abscess surgery will be too high a risk due to his general health? He also has had a very mild heart murmur all his life that has had no impact so far.
Trying to prepare myself ahead of time.. Any input gladly accepted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 01:03 PM
Banned

Hi Kaylesh !

First, I just want to say that nobody, except for a competent cat vet who has examined Midnight, can realistically suggest what the chances/odds are of how the next event will play out.....

It sounds like your vet knows what he's doing, though....that Hyper-T MUST be brought under control asap.

Here's some reliable information for you - it looks at both Kidney disease & Hyper-T and their relationship....it takes reading and absorbing, though...not just 'skimming':
  1. http://felinecrf.org/dental_problems.htm
  2. http://felinecrf.org/hyperthyroidism.htm
Also.....
There are 2 specialized online communities that I would join if I were in your shoes/position....these are where you are SURE to get accurate and up-to-date info and support for questions like the one you raised:
Hope that helps !
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for the information Stryker..

Aye i realise nobody can say with accuracy.. Was kinda wondering what others experience was. I shall indeed take a like at the info you posted.. I'm a (human nurse) so understand somewhat both disease processes.. but not in felines.. Midnight is the first cat i've been a slave to with either Hyperthyroid or CKD..

Again thanks for the links..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 09:15 PM
Senior Cat

Hi Kaylesh,

I have a 17-year-old girl who was diagnosed CRF three years ago when she was 14. She was diagnosed hyperthyroid a few months ago, in August.

I am very, VERY used to dealing with the CRF, but the hyperT was a wrench in the works. In fact, just as you said, once my cat Wintressia had been on methimazole for the hyperT (2.5 mg/day, it's a pink pill) for about 9 weeks, her next urinalysis showed worsening kidney values. She went from Stage 2 (where she had been, very stable, for the three years) right into Stage 3.

She has had some side effects to the methimazole and I'm interested in pursuing the radioactive iodine treatment, which will completely cure the hyperT. As you know as a nurse, medication isn't a cure - she and Midnight would have to be on the thyroid meds for the rest of their lives, on increasing doses.

My cat has never had an abscess or tooth extraction, but she did just undergo a dental cleaning combined with the removal of two small lumps (one on the neck, one on the lower lip, both benign). She came through the surgery with flying colors, no issues at all with anesthesia or recovery.

I think for Midnight, if he developed another abscess, you would have to personally consider the risks, and the things that would happen without extraction. It would probably become painful for him to eat, and he may lose appetite. And the #1 rule for CRF cats is... they MUST eat. So, I'm not a vet, and I can't really give you anything but my opinion what I would do if it were my cat Wintressia with an abscess. I'd do the surgery, because I'd know she'd be in pain if I didn't. For me, personally, the risk would be worth it.

Stryker linked to the best places out there for info/help on CRF and hyperT. :}

Once Midnight's hyperT is under control, your vet will probably try to get you to put him on a prescription diet. I went into this just a few minutes ago on another thread, along with my opinions and experiences with MY cat and the whole "prescription diet" thing. I know you're not at that phase yet with Midnight, but if you're interested:

https://www.catforum.com/forum/38-hea...ml#post2648065

Right now just keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't have any bad side effects from the hyperT medication, as it can be kind of rough on some cats.

But basically, TL;DR is my cat is CRF and hyperT and made it through a surgery just fine a few weeks ago, but your cat's experiences and reactions may be different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Hi LakotaWolf

Thanks so much for taking the time to put down your experiences with your cat. It helps to hear others experiences. I shall indeed keep everything that has been posted in mind as Midnight and I go down this unknown road.
Ta much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page