Is it time to let go? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Is it time to let go?

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I really could use some advise. My cat, Beedee has has a lung tumor for 5 months. She started out coughing and that was the reason for the vet visit. After X-rays they found a mass and I opted not to do further testing or treatment. She is almost 15 and car rides extremely upset her. She was put on prednisone and has been very limited in activity but generally ok. Last week I think she took a turn for the worst and started coughing so violently and then would vomit up blood. Now she does that almost everyday. She still eats and purrs but for the most part lays in the corner of my basement where I set up blankets, food, water. She can't move throughout the house without stopping to catch her breath. The vet thinks her time is near and so do I. We set a tentative day for this Saturday but then I called to cancel. But now I am thinking to call back today and set it up again. This is ripping me apart. I would like to hear from like minded people as to what they would do. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 06:55 AM
Cat Addict

Oh I am so sorry to read your post. Letting go is the hardest decision to make but also one of the greatest gifts you can make out of love for them. Only you can make that final call but I would say it is better to make that call al little early than too late and put her through more discomfort. I would also suggest try to get the vet to you as that would be easier on both of you. Sending hugs at this time
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 08:36 AM
Cool Cat

I would make the call. You will not be happy pushing her through another weekend when you cannot help her. Much sympathy, it's a horrible situation. My old cat had a bladder tumor and I went through a similar thing. The relief when it is over is great, although the "missing my cat" is also great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 02:48 PM
Kitten

We went through a similar thing with our 16 year old Chelsea. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. But I have complete peace it was the right thing to do. Prolonging the cats suffering for our own benefit is not good, although we miss her so much.

We have just adopted 2 rescue kittens and they are great fun and are creating a new place in our hearts (Chloe is here on my desk interfering with my typing as I write this ) but we will will always miss Chelsea. They all have their own unique personalities that we love.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

This is so sad, I'm sorry you're all going through this. I would call and reset the appointment.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you to those who have replied. I have reset the appointment and my vet is going to come to my house tomorrow and give her a shot of tranquilizer to make her fall asleep and then I will drive her over to the clinic where she will be put to sleep. This is a heart wrenching decision and is ripping me apart but I cannot think of myself and I want her to die with dignity and without anymore pain. I just love her so much and want her to finally be at peace.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Sometimes the best thing to do is also the hardest.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 04:47 PM
Premier Cat

Beedee,
My heart goes out to you...I've been where you are...:'(
It truly is the Final, most important gift of Love, we can give them...to set them free, with dignity, no more pain...ever...

I personally would have the vet finish the 'sending off' at my house...that way, any other cats, dogs, could say their 'goodbyes', then she could either be buried, or cremated...

Our hearts, always hurt, that part never gets easier...no matter how many times, you live through it...
We'll be here for you...
(((HUGS)))
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you everyone. This is just bad to go through. I feel like my heart is being ripped out. I appreciate all the kind words and support.

Last edited by marie73; 11-21-2015 at 05:45 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 06:02 PM
Cat Addict

Some years ago we lost our much loved Trixie - she was about 24 at a guess - certainly over 20 but it was still a difficult decision. All you can do is try to assess what is best for your baby. What I can agree (sadly) is that whatever you do, you will beat yourself up. It's inevitable when we love as much as we all do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page