A bit worried about my cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

A bit worried about my cat

My female cat Kisaki just turned 12 years old last week. She's been a bit less active over the past week. My dad is worried it could be something serious, though I'm hoping its not as I've lost two cats in the past 4 years and am not ready to lose another. She was 11 pounds the last time she went to the vet in February and is now down to around 7 pounds. She's had problems with ear mites for quite a while now and has pulled most of the fur on her back out from fleas. She drinks lots of water (and insists on drinking directly from the faucet in the bathroom sink), but has been eating less canned food over the past couple days. She always takes me on walks around the house, but the past couple days while she still does, she doesn't meow at me much like usual and walks slower and lays on my dad's lap for hours and he mentioned she's had some pretty foul smelling gas. Complicating matters is our other 3-year old cat tries to attack her every chance he gets, which is why we have to keep them separated as she's unfortunately de-clawed and can't defend herself. I have scheduled an appointment with the vet for Monday morning, but am worried she may need treatment sooner. There's an animal emergency clinic down the road, but I've heard nothing but bad reviews about them putting animals to sleep when they don't really need to or if people can't pay in full, plus its snowing really bad outside currently. I'm hoping its only a tapeworm or something treatable, but I fear the worst-case scenario. Any advice on what to do is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 08:57 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Germs,
All I can say, is get Kisaki to a vet....she sounds very ill...
Sending Healing Prayers for her...
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks, there are times where she seems alright, she's cleaning herself and scratching normally, but I just worry with her weight going down and her not eating much today. She's my baby, the first cat that was strictly mine, all others were family cats, she rode with me from Colorado to Indiana when I first got her 5 1/2 years ago. I'd take her to the emergency vet if I hadn't heard such bad things about them and it wasn't snowing like crazy outside. I pray that its nothing serious and the vet on Monday gives her medicine or changes her diet or something and things get back to normal because this is no fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 04:10 AM
Cat

I'm sorry the emergency vet in your area is so terrible. Don't feel bad about not taking her sooner - in your shoes, I wouldn't risk it either.

Some things I'd recommend are getting Revolution for the fleas + ear mites. It's not cheap, but I've heard nothing but great things about it. Advantage II is also good imo, but it only works for fleas and, like Revolution, is also expensive.

Otherwise, it sounds like you're doing a lot of good things to help her. Just let her take it easy, maybe try and have the house as calm and quiet as possible. Perhaps feeding her several times throughout the day (in small portions) could help as well..?

Proud parent of Scamper (age 12) and Robin (age 4)
At the rainbow bridge: Slippy, Faramir, Gabriel, Lucky, Ammy
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks, I had her on Advantage for the past couple months and was just about to get more for the next 2 months. I also got her something different for her ear mites (Four Paws aloe ear drops), compared to what the vet gave me last year that had expired. Hope that isn't what caused this. She's been giving a more pitiful sounding meow all night and a kind of soft, vibrating meow/purr. She's also been licking her lips a lot. 10am tomorrow can't come soon enough. Hope I can sleep tonight. :/
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Just an update, talked to my friend who owned Kisaki before I did and she thinks its either a hairball that she's trying to get to come out or one of her teeth are hurting her. I went and got her some of the Fancy Feast Broths and she licked it up pretty well, so that's encouraging, though she didn't go for the cat grass I got as well, but I obviously don't want to overwhelm her. She's meowing really loudly and licking her lips like she usually does before she has a hairball. Will definitely keep an eye on her and hope for the best with the vet tomorrow.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 11:19 PM
Senior Cat

A bit worried about my cat

Lip licking could be a sign of her being nauseous.

If you suspect hairball, give her hairball product if you have it handy. Or add some pumpkin pure to her food.

Nonetheless I will take her in for a check. She lost lots of weight, like 30% of her body weight, since February, it's alarming. I guess it could be an ongoing teeth problem that bothers her and she can't eat.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Anna + Josie and Blackberry

Last edited by anie; 11-22-2015 at 11:22 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 05:52 AM
Kitten

Yes, could it be that there are in fact several issues? Sometimes 1 issue unsolved snowballs into several things.

It's normal that 1 cat would attack the other, if it is feeling weak.

Can you find another clinic in the meantime, just in case?
Do you trust the vet you are seeing on Monday?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

My other cat has always attacked her since I got him 2 1/2 years ago. He's just very playful and she isn't.

I trust the vet I'm going to, been there many times in the past 3 years.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hey everyone. Well unfortunately it wasn't what I thought, the vet suspects its kidney failure. I asked for bloodwork to know for sure by tomorrow and to give a couple more days to see if maybe things improve, but to at least properly say goodbye.

Thanks everyone for your support during the past few stressful days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page