Suddenly Appears Huge Without Weight Gain??? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Suddenly Appears Huge Without Weight Gain???

We have had Rocky, a 7 or 8 year old spayed female, for 4 years or so. She has always been an indoor/outdoor cat, and like all such cats, she appears to gain some volume in winter due to fluffier fur. At the last vet check, she weighed 11.6, and he said she was fine but we would have to watch the weight a little. In the last few months, she has started to look like a garfield cat. Basically, since our 17 year old cat died. We have been feeding less, or trying too, and the 17 year old didnt eat all that much anyway, but this is what we thought might be different. (They didnt play much, so activity levels are obviously not really impacted.)

Today, we decided that "enough is enough, we need to know how bad this has gotten" and stepped on our digital scale with and without the cat. The digital scale is obviously not super reliable in terms of tenths of a pound, but we have done this several times, and it does more or less check with vet results. We expected 13+. The result? 11.2.

She looks a lot different. She isnt due for a vet check up for months.

I'm confused. Any thoughts? The only thing I can come up with is that I'm some how misremembering how fluffy she gets in winter. But it sure doesnt seem like just fluff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 11:13 PM
Senior Cat

Maybe parasites? They can cause swollen abdomen. Since she goes out, she could eat something and get infested with something.

That would be my first thought.
I guess vet check is in order. They will also palpate her abdomen and should be able to tell if gut and intestines feel not right.

Fingers crossed it's something minor. Keep us updated.

Anna + Josie and Blackberry
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 11:17 PM
Kitten

My cat has so much fur that it is hard to get her actual weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Ugh. Vet confirmed 11.6 in June, and both my wife and I got 11.4 by the "with the cat then without the cat" method on the digital scale.

I feel kind of stupid spending the money on a vet visit. Seems pretty much like it has to be nothing -- dont think parasites could cause the full Garfield look.

Still, we are just so sure that she looks much heavier. The vet described it as a thing to watch in June, and it sure looks like more then that now.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 02:32 PM
Cool Cat

I kinda think parasites might cause gas and you'd notice it. Otherwise I think it's her winter coat has come in and she looks bigger than in June. Well, why not? Your own clothes are bigger than in June!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldercat View Post
I kinda think parasites might cause gas and you'd notice it. Otherwise I think it's her winter coat has come in and she looks bigger than in June. Well, why not? Your own clothes are bigger than in June!
Yeah, I think its just the winter coat. I think we got fooled because she is also a lot less active because she is still uncomfortable with the new kitten and the combination of looking bigger and being more torpid had us really noticing that she is somewhat overweight. But on really feeling her closely, things dont seem so different.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 08:52 AM
Cool Cat

Well, keep an eye on it. Weigh her around Christmas and see what's up then. If she's *way* different, then you can figure out what to do. Of course by then she may be tearing around with the kitten and lose weight... it's never as easy as it looks! Also, you may be comparing her (subconsciously) to the kitten, so of course she looks *big*.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page