Vomiting; keep her in the bathroom? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Vomiting; keep her in the bathroom?

Smudge is a bit more than 1.5 and has never had so much as a hairball. This morning I heard a terrible sound in the bathroom where we keep her litter, and she was vomiting just outside it. She had just walked away from her breakfast, which she usually devours. The vomit was food and liquid.

10-15 minutes later, she started heaving again in the kitchen, but this time it was just small blurps of clear liquid.

My husband wants me to keep her in the bathroom all day to contain the mess, but I will check on her often.

What's the protocol when your cat is vomiting? We just moved into a new house a couple of weeks ago, and she seems to have adapted well. We have another cat, too, and they love each other. We have company, so this morning was a bit more hectic than usual.

Could she be stressed? Or maybe she got into something? We still have a ton of boxes, packing material, etc., but she doesn't usually try to eat that stuff. We don't even have a vet here yet, but I guess I should try to find one now just in case I have to take her in this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

She just vomited again; that makes three times in the past hour. Time for the vet?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

And again. I made an appointment for this afternoon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 10:45 AM
Cat Addict

It sounds a lot for a hairball. Hoping the vets visit goes ok
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Is it OK to keep her in the bathroom? I've been visiting with her a couple of times per hour (and have had to clean up). Last time was pink, so I'm calling to see if I need to go in earlier.

I don't want her vomiting all over the house, so I need to keep her contained somewhere unless it is cruel...
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Cool Cat

Keep her contained. You don't want her "lost" in your house when she's ill and you've a vet appointment. It almost (to me) sounds like she ate something that was not edible and is trying to hick it up but it's not coming. Best of luck and do please stay in touch.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 03:45 PM
Cat Addict

Keeping her confined was definitely the right choice - as was calling the vet.

My basic rule is that if they're vomiting, especially only bile, more than 4 times in an hour you go to the vet. That red tinges would have me in the car and on the way after calling to let them know I was otw.

Sick kitties tend to like a bit more privacy. When one of our 4 feels crappy or sick I set up our upstairs bathroom as a kitty sick room. They get their own litter box, comfy beds, water, and their preferred food. I visit them there to check on them regularly, but they all like not being bugged by the other cats until they feel better.

it's also safer, as you'll have an easier time getting her in the kennel, and sick kitties will sometimes hide because they feel so yucky.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 10:55 PM
Premier Cat

How is Smudge doing?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

She seems to be doing better. She last vomited at around 11:30am, and my appointment was at 1:30pm. The vet didn't feel any abdominal problems and there was nothing caught in her mouth or throat. He gave her fluid under the skin and an anti-emetic to stop her from vomiting.

I kept her confined until the evening, then let her out for a couple of hours, then put her back in the bathroom for the night. She wanted OUT this morning! She had torn up the hand towel we keep in there and scratched/chipped paint off the door. The vet said to give her a spoonful of food after lunch today (~24 hours since last vomit). I'm at work until 3pm, so I'll have to wait until then.

She's acting completely back to normal right now. I almost wish they HAD found something because then I'd know what was wrong! I guess we just have to assume she ate something bad.

ETA: The vet also said that if she vomits again even once from food or water, to bring her in for bloodwork and x-rays. Or if she becomes lethargic or acts depressed.

Last edited by sweetsmudge; 11-24-2015 at 08:12 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 08:28 AM
Cool Cat

Sounds reasonable to me. Good for the vet, saying to bring her back if it's not completely gone.

Glad you didn't misplace her somewhere in your house because they can be *so* good at hiding when they don't feel well and then it's a real challenge to locate them again. Also, who wants cat vomit in random places??

Good to read that she is feeling better. Hope the food goes down this afternoon - and *stays down*!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page