Re: Transitioning to Outside - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Unhappy Re: Transitioning to Outside

My parents have elected to kick the cat outside or to the pound because of her scratching the couch... She won't use scratching posts and has done it once before. I'm trying to make my cats transition to the outside as smooth as possible and luckily we had been locking her during the day and letting her come in at night.

I feel like the adaption is well, she has shots and is infertile. She is scared to death of cars, so I'm really happy she has accustomed to this fear. I know because I've tried to carry her places or put her into a transporting case and she hates getting anywhere near the road. One cat I know is around and kind of intimidates her but I shoo it away when I can.

It's somewhat cold with 37 degree tempatures in the early morning but that's improving. As of now, I have a blanket and box for her. I'm trying to think of more things to do, regular feeding schedule. Is there anything else I can do besides going out to spend time with her when I can? I can tell she is lonely but I can only see her so much, will she be okay? What should I be concerned about? *she can't be declawed, she's 4 and I wouldn't want any emotional trauma to come with it.* She's very smart too, any further comments or recommendations please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 12:55 AM
Premier Cat

With all due respect, I think you should find a good indoor home where people find a living breathing soul more important than inanimate materials.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
With all due respect, I think you should find a good indoor home where people find a living breathing soul more important than inanimate materials.
I suppose I'll start looking for the cat then...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 01:41 AM
Premier Cat

There are a multitude of dangers outside that you will not be able to protect your cat from. I realize you have no say in the matter as it is your parents' house.....but have you considered talking to them responsibly about ways you can help train your cat to not scratch the couch? Jackson Galaxy has a lot of suggestions.....I'm sure there are a bazillion hints on the Internet and Pintrest. I don't have a lot of time to look them all up for you right now, but I am sure you could do so. You can start by putting scratch posts RIGHT beside the part of the couch she scratches. Reward her with treats for scratching the post. If she scratches the couch, a loud, firm NO, then put her pas on the scratch post and tell her she is good.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochas Mommy View Post
There are a multitude of dangers outside that you will not be able to protect your cat from. I realize you have no say in the matter as it is your parents' house.....but have you considered talking to them responsibly about ways you can help train your cat to not scratch the couch? Jackson Galaxy has a lot of suggestions.....I'm sure there are a bazillion hints on the Internet and Pintrest. I don't have a lot of time to look them all up for you right now, but I am sure you could do so. You can start by putting scratch posts RIGHT beside the part of the couch she scratches. Reward her with treats for scratching the post. If she scratches the couch, a loud, firm NO, then put her pas on the scratch post and tell her she is good.
I can certainly try, but it's probably best I wait a week or two as they are really firm about her not coming back in right now. Any recommendations for the time-being? I do like your idea, I just need to get past the phase of them being irritated, then it will be easier to propose.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 02:35 AM
Senior Cat

Can you buy something like Soft Paws to cover the cat's claws? I don't know where you live, but we have access to little nail covers you glue over a cat's claws. They are soft covers and completely prevent damage to furniture.

SoftPaws.com - Nail Caps for Cats and Dogs

Or can you, you know, TRIM her claws? If she is full indoors, there is no reason her claws can't be trimmed/clipped, both front and back. Even if you don't have access to something like Soft Paws, surely you can buy cat claw-clippers.

Scratching is something cats do as an instinct and you can't "train" it out of them, so you need to work around it. I understand parents being upset, but shoving your cat outdoors would be as cruel as throwing a toddler outside. Your cat has not been an outdoors cat and has NO idea how to deal with things. She is going to be terrified of everything.

EVERYTHING is a danger to your cat outdoors right now. Other animals, other people, insects, parasites, diseases, weather. She might get spooked by another animal and run into the road - cats can't "reason" and remember "not" to run into the road if they're terrified and fleeing something else.

And by "infertile", do you mean spayed? Is she vaccinated, at least?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakotaWolf View Post
Can you buy something like Soft Paws to cover the cat's claws? I don't know where you live, but we have access to little nail covers you glue over a cat's claws. They are soft covers and completely prevent damage to furniture.

SoftPaws.com - Nail Caps for Cats and Dogs

Or can you, you know, TRIM her claws? If she is full indoors, there is no reason her claws can't be trimmed/clipped, both front and back. Even if you don't have access to something like Soft Paws, surely you can buy cat claw-clippers.

Scratching is something cats do as an instinct and you can't "train" it out of them, so you need to work around it. I understand parents being upset, but shoving your cat outdoors would be as cruel as throwing a toddler outside. Your cat has not been an outdoors cat and has NO idea how to deal with things. She is going to be terrified of everything.

EVERYTHING is a danger to your cat outdoors right now. Other animals, other people, insects, parasites, diseases, weather. She might get spooked by another animal and run into the road - cats can't "reason" and remember "not" to run into the road if they're terrified and fleeing something else.

And by "infertile", do you mean spayed? Is she vaccinated, at least?
Spayed and Vaccinated. I tried telling them the same thing but they won't listen... I like the soft paws idea and I am definitely going to bring this up.. Thank you for the share.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 03:39 AM
Premier Cat

I have none...zero....recommendations for helping your cat transition ... Instantly transition.....to bring an outdoor cat. She is going to be scared and alone and in danger. There isn't much I can say to make it gentle....sorry. I know it isn't your fault and you are trying.....but there is nothing that will make this easy on her.

Can you not ask your parents if she can be indoors and stay in your room? If she is out if your room, then under your direct guidance?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 07:09 AM
Cool Cat

My boyfriend has issues with couch scratching so I use Soft Claws on Amelia. They save me much grief. I would never put her outdoors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 08:49 AM
Cool Cat

We have scratching posts all over the condo. Chino and Shadow use them all the time and we haven't had a problem with them scratching anything. I also trim their nails regularly. It wouldn't matter if they did scratch something though. We would never put them outside
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page