Dental Care? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Dental Care?

I was just checking out Nugget's teeth, they look good, starting to get a little yellow. It got me wondering though...

What kind of dental care can you give a cat? Are there people who care for their cat's teeth? Should you even provide tooth care for them?

I've never thought about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Bonus photos of Nugget.:p
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20160325_121802.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	103274  

Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20160325_121805.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	103282  

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 02:12 PM
Cool Cat

I brush Chino & Shadow's teeth 4-5 times a week. I use the Virbac Pet Toothbrush and Enzymatic Dog & Cat Toothpaste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Did you get them accustomed to this when they were young? I can only imagine attempting to brush Nugget's teeth, she would hate it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 04:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraido View Post
...I can only imagine attempting to brush Nugget's teeth....

she would hate it.
No, you can do more than that.......you can watch how it's done: Brushing Your Cat's Teeth | Partners in Animal Health

And, as for hating it.....well, with the gifts of your time and patience, she might just surprise you!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 06:21 PM
Senior Cat

Yes, you should absolutely care for your cat's teeth. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about this!

A cat can get many serious dental diseases that can lead to tooth absorption, loss, or refusal to eat (because the mouth is painful).

Most vets can do dental work on a cat - a full cleaning will probably require sedation, but my 17-year-old (who has multiple health issues including kidney failure) had a full dental cleaning a few months ago and was just fine with the anasthesia. I've made sure she has had regular cleanings all her life - she still has all of her original teeth - has never had to have an extraction - and the vets are always amazed at how healthy her teeth and gums are.

My cat will not tolerate any kind of brushing, so I have to stick with dental cleanings once or twice a year. "Dental" treats and chews are crap - it's like saying a human can clean their teeth by eating crunchy potato chips. The only things that can "naturally" clean a cat's teeth is a true "prey model" raw diet - where they eat small creatures with fur, bones, feathers, etc. that will scrub the teeth while they gnaw and chew.

My vet also applied some kind of gel to my cat's teeth at her last cleaning that is supposed to help keep the teeth clean and healthy. I am supposed to reapply it once a month. My cat doesn't really tolerate this either, but it's over much faster than my attempts to brush!

TL;DR, yes, taking care of your cat's teeth is very, VERY important for their overall health. I'd talk to your vet about a dental checkup and cleaning at your next visit!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Okay! Thanks guys, I don't know why I never thought of this before. Is it necessary to get a cleaning for them once a year, even if the cat lets you brush them frequently?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 07:13 PM
Senior Cat

I'd get the teeth checked by a vet at least, and I'd say a cat will probably need a cleaning anyway - since I imagine it's difficult to reach all the teeny nooks and crannies of their tiny mouths. We probably miss some spots when brushing, even if the cat tolerates it well. I'm personally very on-top (read: paranoid) about my OWN dental health, so I'm paranoid about my cat's as well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Understandably! Duly noted.(:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 10:11 PM
Cool Cat

Fraido,

Yes, I started brushing Chino and Shadow's teeth when they were kittens. Shadow actually seems to like it. Chino tolerates it (barely). There are also dental wipes and sprays for cats but I'm not sure how well they work. Chino & Shadow are over 2 now and the vet has not recommended a cleaning yet. The vet we go to is a cat only vet and they are really into dental care too. They said I am doing a pretty good job keeping their teeth clean so far.
LakotaWolf is right, it's best to talk to your vet about dental care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page