Funny Extra Claw? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Funny Extra Claw?

We have two adopted rescue kittens, brother and sister, 9 months old. We have had them about 4 months, indoors only. I just noticed today that the boy has an odd thing on his front pads. Almost looks like a second claw, but wiggles easily, perhaps a callus? I trim the nails every so often, so I don't think it is a result of overly long normal claws, unless it predates our care of him. I will have the vet take a look at it next time I take them in. But I am curious if anyone knows what they are.

Pictures are upside down, trimmed normal claw visible on the bottom.

Gratuitous cute shot (brother on the left, sister on the right):
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 04:52 PM
Cat Addict

They do happen to some cats. Torri gets them. I think the official name is horned paws, here's an article: Horned Paws

Practically, they aren't a big deal. I trim Torri's every other time I trim her paws (so every other month or so), and not too short. I aim to leave about what your boy has now after a trim. If left too long Torri's grow and make a pincer with her claw - then she gets stuck on EVERYTHING. The growths don't usually have blood vessels in them, so there's no feeling in the growth itself, but if they get too long they can get caught on things and that definitely hurts, judging by Torri's reactions.

Make sure you're very gentle, but that you handle his feet regularly. He'll need to be good with having his feet touched so they're easy to manage. I fussed with Torri's feet too much when she was little, trying to figure out what the things on her toes were, and now she hates having her paws touched.

Basically, they're not a big deal. Just keep an eye on them and trim them before they get too long.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you! Knowing the right name for something helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 06:40 PM
Senior Cat

The only other thing I can think that it might possibly be, is that it's literally a piece of broken main-claw that has gotten wedged/stuck in his claw sheath.

My old cat has some really messed-up claws, and sometimes hers just break in half or into several pieces, and sometimes the pieces don't break completely off, but stay in her claw sheath until I pull them/clip them.

If the weird bit doesn't seem to be bothering your boy, don't pull on it or clip it - ask (or call) your vet. But if it starts snagging on things or getting caught, you may want to attempt clipping it gently - my cat has gotten her broken bits caught on the carpet before, and she just tries to tear her paw away - resulting in ripped claws and bleeding :{

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 07:19 PM
Cat Addict

From the pictures it looks exactly like what Torri has - they're sort of like calluses that just keep growing and growing. They grow slower than the nail, but will get quite long.

You can definitely ask your vet, but mine didn't know anything about them, lol.

I have seen broken nails before too - Doran is AWFUL about scratching to pull off the old claw sheaths, so I have to do it for him. If I don't then his claws eventually crack and bleed. Silly boy. Luckily he's very patient with me fussing with his nails.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 11:06 PM
Senior Cat

Ive herd them called pseudo-claws, Yeti's father Kiwi has them, they will get long enough to bother him and trimming is needed.. but very carefully just the dry hard ends, remember they are growing out of very sensitive pads..

yeti cat: two toes short of the record books
eons ago there must had been a creature with a roar
like a vacuum cleaner, it most likely ate cats.
smokey,yeti, pansy, violet, ember and brullie
jolene, tammi and emma the ghost kitties in the house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page