Stomatitis. :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Stomatitis. :(

Hello everyone,

My cat Casper had most of his teeth removed on Thursday in hopes that it will relieve the pain from stomatitis. The dr was a really good dental surgeon and he went through all the before and after X-rays with me. For the past couple days I've been taking him back to the vet for his oral medication because be wouldn't let me give it. He was put on Buprenorphine. I wanted to write this lastnight but I didn't get admin approval till just a few mins ago. He was acting very odd lastnight. Like he wanted my attention but just wasn't able to get over pain or feeling I may try putting something in his mouth? Who knows but this morning he woke me up meowing for me like usual. I fed him and he's off sleeping like normal. I'm so relieved. Thursday the worst was going through my mind, he sounded congested after surgery and was just not my cat. He got out the dog door and spent the night outside without pain relief. I cried all night.
Anyway it looks like we are on the up. My question is now how long will it take for all the inflammation that was in the back of his mouth to go, if it goes? I'm worried now about the front fangs being left. The vet said we will have to watch the closely and he must go in for cleaning. He left them because they were nice and healthy but I stood there and looked at he photos and I just got this overwhelming feeling they should have gone too. My husband thinks I'm over concerned with my cat but he's like one of my children. I haven't dared open his mouth and looked in, he has a follow up in 2 weeks. Everything has gone to plan so far but this was terribly painful for him. The vet told me set aside up to $2000 just incase he needs to go back to hospital and thank goodness he didn't need it. I just don't want to go through all this again and I don't want it to be for nothing. I had no idea his mouth was an issue till he stopped eating. I felt like the worst cat mom ever!
Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated. I just want as much info as I can get.

Thanks Jessica

Last edited by Casperandme; 03-26-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 04:03 AM
Premier Cat

I don't have any experience with stomatitis, but several members do. Hopefully, they'll be by. In the meantime, you might find some useful information in these threads:

https://www.catforum.com/forum/38-hea...xtraction.html

https://www.catforum.com/forum/38-hea...tomatitis.html

https://www.catforum.com/forum/38-hea...ing-tooth.html

There are so many different reasons that a kitty isn't eating - there's just no way you could have known what was going on. And I know that I would get nowhere fast trying to look into my kitty's mouth! The important thing is that you got him to the vet and had a good dental surgeon.

Head scratches to little Casper. BTW, the stray I care for was named Casper by my neighbors, after the friendly ghost, as he apparently showed up on Halloween one year. What kind of kitty is your Casper? Mine is gray and white.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Casper is a blue point mitted tabby Ragdoll lol he's my baby.
I think he's actually put on weight since surgery on Thursday. He only had a day he stopped eating and I've been giving him wet canned food 2-3times a day. He cuddled for hours today, he hasn't done that in months. So far a much happier cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 03:35 PM
Premier Cat

It's so hard to see our kitties in pain. But it's also really hard to see when our kitties are in pain, because they're so good at hiding it. Despite Casper's post-surgical pain, remember that he was in pain prior to the extractions, too, and that pain would have continued had you not done the extractions. You must be so relieved to see him happy now!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 05:42 PM
Senior Cat

Jessica,

I don't have any first-hand experience with stomatitis, but I have an 18-year-old cat who has kidney issues and often loses her appetite and refuses to eat. If Casper ever seems to have any problems with his wet food, mix in some warm water and make a "cat food soup". I do this with my cat's food (she is on a raw diet) and even on her bad days, I can usually get her to lap at the liquid "soup".

You can also try an egg yolk, raw - just the yolk, not the white. There are also meat baby foods out there that are good for days when a kitty just feels like lapping up something completely liquid! (Just make sure the baby food does not have any onion or garlic powder!)

I know of many kitties who live long, happy lives with zero teeth, so Casper should do well after a bit of adjustment! :}

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I caught Casper having dry food this morning. We had always fed dry till now and he really prefers it. Only one kind. He was meant to be on wet for two weeks. I would like to switch the cats over to some good quality wet food or maybe even raw feeding. I'm concerned that maybe his food had a part to play in the stomatitis. I anxious to see the vet and find out what his mouth looks like. We are in Australia and it's quite easy to feed raw and most breeders here do feed raw. I'm going to look into it further. With all the illness his coat isn't looking it's best. It's better but not what it was a couple years ago.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 08:46 PM
Senior Cat

I am just about ready to vote raw food for President of the World ;} I can't tell you how happy I am that I switched my cat to a fully-raw diet. The long-story-short of her tale is that she was a lifelong kibble cat, much to my shame - I got her when I was 16 so I didn't know any better. In 2010, my German Shepherd was diagnosed with cancer, so I started looking into better foods for both of them. That was when I transitioned my cat to grain-free canned food. In 2012, my cat was diagnosed with kidney failure (CRF/CKD) and was given ~6 months to live. I refused the vets' "prescription diets", did a TON of research, and switched my cat to a raw diet (ground meat/bones/organs).

I saw an almost-immediate improvement in her health, happiness, and energy. She started playing and running around again - maybe not like a kitten, but much more than before ;} Her fur got soft, thick, and silky. And her poops became small and dry, and they don't smell at all. Plus, she got her appetite back - she actually enjoys eating now! And of course, the #1 thing - it's 4 years later and she's still alive.

I really think a raw diet benefits cats SO much, especially ones with health conditions. It's so "easy" for a cat to digest a raw diet, because, well, they EVOLVED to do so! ;}

I feed my cat ground raw meat/bones/organs. If you could find that in your area, Casper should have no problems lapping it up - no need to chew!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 01:22 AM
Premier Cat

How is Casper doing? Has the inflammation subsided?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I haven't gotten a good look inside his mouth but he's eating well. I do think the stitches are bothering him. He shakes his head a bit and licks a lot and that's something he never did before. They should start dissolving soon I think?
I tried him on some wet grain free food and it gave him watery bowel movements. He's never been able to tolerate grain free food, I thought the wet might be a bit easier. Nope. I also gave him some raw, he wasn't too keen. Just nibbled at it. He prefers the cheap nasty stuff well it's not as cheap as you can go food.
We go back to vet on the 7th so I can get a good look in his mouth then. Right now he seems pretty happy and comfortable. I feel really lucky he's not missed a beat with almost full mouth extraction.
Thanks for asking how he's going. I'll fill you in next dental appt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page