Cat not eating.. HELP! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat not eating.. HELP!

Hello,
I have a 10 month old Persian cat.
This morning I realised he can't eat his food. He is drinking water but he tries to chew food and spits it back out?!
I didn't know if it's a teething problem or gums or something? It's Easter Sunday so all vets and shops are closed and I'm really worried about him! He won't stop meowing so I know there's something up or he's really hungry...
Someone told me to give him raw egg if he can't chew but I don't know about this as I've never given any of my past cats raw egg?! Plus I'd be the one cleaning his bum if it went through him
Please help me xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 10:23 AM
Kitten

I've read give the the egg yolk, not the whites. Is your cat on dry or wet food? Can you get pet milk where you are? It's usually sold in the pet food Isle. Your cat might be able to get that down. It's better than nothing.
My cat stopped eating recently too and it was definitely an issue with his mouth/teeth. Have you had a look inside his mouth? Is it red/inflamed?

Jessica
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 11:15 AM
Premier Cat

Cut his coat back around his anus at least an inch in diameter with blunt-nose (or moustache) scissors. This will go a long way in keeping any poop getting stuck in his breeches. Have you examined is mouth to see if there's anything stuck in it? A recent poster had a cat with a needle and some thread stuck in its mouth that was only discovered just before vet was to put him under some invasive surgery. Yes, a raw egg yolk would be good....anything that he can lap up. Thin out canned food with a little water so that he can lap it. Baby meat in those little jars (Gerber, etc.) in chicken or beef meat only with no other additives like veggies would be good. If he's still having trouble and not able to eat, a visit to an emergency vet is imperative, as you don't want him to go longer than two days without eating anything. There's a danger of him developing "fatty liver disease" if he does. Good luck!
Fatty Liver Disease in Cats: Not Eating Can Quickly Kill

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 01:15 PM
Premier Cat

My cats eat a raw egg yolk every couple days...it's safe and doesn't go right through them.

Cow's milk dairy WILL cause diarrhea.....if you can get goats milk, that is better for them and won't leave a mess on the way out.

If you can't get any food.,...boil 2 parts white rice and 1 part chopped chicken (preferably the dark meat...NO bones). When done, blend it up, adding more water if needed to make it drinkable.

If need be, you may have to put some food on your finger and open the cat's mouth to rub it inside.....he HAS to eat. Then, as soon as a vet is open, if he is still not eating on his own, take him in. I'd take him in anyways just to be checked out to see if there is any reason he stopped eating.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 07:56 PM
Kitten

My boy had a grass seed stuck in his mouth and was infected. we found out he has stomatitis as well but it was the grass see and infection that caused the most pain at the time. Check your cats mouth at least every couple of months and take them for a cleaning!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

He is eating his food but I can tell he's only eating it because he's hungry.. I had a look at his gums and the look a little red around the gum line and back molars..
He has a vet appointment tomorrow so hopefully get to the bottom of it soon xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 05:22 PM
Premier Cat

Glad to hear that vet discovered the source of his mouth discomfort....a grass seed! Sorry to hear he has stomatitis, and hope the vet can help with that problem. At least you know what he's got and the reason he couldn't eat. All the best and hope your cat has a good recovery.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 05:33 PM
Senior Cat

The raw egg yolk is a great thing to try. Just the yolk, raw. Not the white. Separate it out as best you can. I give my cat a raw egg yolk at least once a week. It's pretty much pure protein, which cats need, so your little guy will digest and absorb all of it.

You can also pick up meat baby food to try as well. Make sure the ingredients are just meat + water... NO onion or garlic powders.

10 months old is very young to have appetite issues - usually these crop up in older cats like mine (nearly 18 years old).

I hope the vet can find out what it is. Make sure to have a bloodwork AND urinalysis if you can, and also have the vet palpitate/ultrasound the bowel and intestines to check for IBS and IBD. Also check all his teeth and mouth - lesions and tooth issues are definitely causes for inappetance.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 09:07 PM
Kitten

How did the vet appt go? I hope all is well with your kitty.

Jess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page