Health related queries about new cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Health related queries about new cat

Last week we found a stray Persian cat in our building. He actively sought out human company and was comfortable around us from the get go which led me think that he was either lost or abandoned. He looked like he had not been on his own for long as he was in decent condition, no mats in his fur and not too dirty but we took him to the vet the same day as we have another Persian, a girl called Penny, and we didn't want to risk exposing her to any parasites or disease. The vet confirmed that he definitely belonged to someone as he had been chipped. He looks to be about 2 yrs old and was neutered, did not have fleas, mites or ringworm but we got him groomed and shaved off all his hair anyway. He recommended that we wait for sometime to see if someone came forward to claim him. We tried contacting all the clinics here in Kuwait but no one seemed to have any record of him. We took him home and kept him isolated as we still hadn't given him any shots as we were not sure of his medical history but a week later, not having heard from anyone, we decided to get him vaccinated. Meanwhile we slowly started the process of introducing the two cats. Having had him for a little over a week I have a few minor concerns about him.

1. He humps like a beast! I never knew that this behavior would persist in cats who had been neutered. Is there anything I can do to discourage him? I am also concerned about whether he will try to pseudo mate with Penny (she's been spayed) once they get used to each other. If he does should I let him?

2. He has scabs from what appears to be old injuries just below his ears and on his chest. The vet said it was not ringworm and that he probably hurt himself somehow. But I noticed him repeatedly scratching those areas yesterday. I imagine the scabs are itchy. Should I be worried it is something else?

3. He's got a very sweet personality and loves being petted and sleeping next to us. We named him Eros after the Greek god of love because of this (and because of the humping). However, he is not fond of being picked up and will not settle down in our laps even if he walks in for a pet of his own volition. He also curls up into a tight ball as he sleeps and does not unwind even when he appears to be in deep sleep. He also never rolls over and shows us his tummy like Penny does. Is it because he is still wary of us?

4. He sometimes has little curl to his upper lip especially when he's grooming. The lip usually goes back into place. Personally, I think it makes him roguish but I wonder if that what causes him to drool excessively sometimes, especially when he's relaxed. My vet said it was nothing but he hasn't seen the way saliva pools and drips out of his mouth when hes chilling. Is that normal? Are some cats just droolers?

5. In the beginning, he used to use the litter box and cover his poop but since the last 2-3 days he has not been covering it. We have also been letting the two cats interact more these past two days. Is it somehow related to that? A display of dominance?

6. He eats everything in site! I have caught him licking stuff off the floor multiple times and the other day he was playing with some cling film and ate a small piece by the time I saw got to him. He also has been retching as if he's trying to bring up something on two occasions but nothing except a few drops of liquidy something came out. The vet gave us a paste saying he must be trying to cough up a hair ball and that paste would aid with digestion.

I apologize in advance for the barrage of questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 04:17 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by diaanz View Post
...The vet confirmed that he definitely belonged to someone as he had been chipped...
Did the veterinary clinic contact the company that registered the chip?

Quote:
He humps like a beast!
Saxon, our king-sized Siamese, does this too. We asked about it at his recent yearly checkup and were told that it can occur if a tomcat was neutered well into adulthood, after having some breeding experience.
We haven't had any luck dissuading Saxon from doing this, but he has a split in one ear from our old female cat, possible from trying it with her one day when we were out. Our present female cat puts up with it with a bemused look on her face. I suspect that your Penny will let this cat know he's out of line, in which case you may be taking him back to the vet for stitches at some point. (What is he humping right now, if not your other cat?)

Quote:
. He has scabs from what appears to be old injuries just below his ears and on his chest.
It could be from a fight. If the scabs are recent and haven't fallen off yet, they could be itchy because of healing underneath.

Quote:
. However, he is not fond of being picked up
Maybe. Not every cat likes being picked up and not every cat is a lap cat. Only time will tell. When I had longhairs (not Persian, but with fur about as long) they weren't lap cats and I always suspected they just got too hot sitting right on top of us.

Quote:
Are some cats just droolers
Maybe. Some male cats in particular will get so excited while purring that they drool everywhere.
Quote:
In the beginning, he used to use the litter box and cover his poop but since the last 2-3 days he has not been covering it. We have also been letting the two cats interact more these past two days. Is it somehow related to that? A display of dominance?
Yes, dominant cats often don't cover their feces. Does he have a separate litter box from Penny? It may upset her to have some big male trying to dominate her using her litter box.

Quote:
He eats everything in site!
Could be he's been roaming loose for a while and is just hungry - or he could be a bit of a piggy boy, as both my male cats (past and present) have been. We're always dragging Saxon away from the recycling box where he tries to kill the cardboard, styrofoam, and any crackly plastic. Hairballs are a definite possibility for a longhair that has been wandering for a little while.
Quote:
I apologize in advance for the barrage of questions.
Well, that's what this site is for!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 05:08 PM
Premier Cat

Wow! A well cared for Persian out on the lam is quite uncommon I'd guess. Kudos to you for looking for someone looking for their lost fur baby! I do hope the vet was able to contact the owners but if not, then I guess he is yours. I would double check for fleas on him by putting him on a piece of plain white paper and throughly rubbing his fur and looking for flea dirt on the paper. If you see black specks put a drop of water on them if they they turn red it's flea dirt and he has fleas whether you see them or not. I would not worry too much about anything else. The dominance and pecking order will work themselves out in time. Can't help with the humping at all though.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 06:10 PM
Senior Cat

Now that you have two cats, I recommend getting at least two more litterboxes. The "best" formula is one litterbox per cat, plus one extra - I have two litterboxes for my one cat. Even if your kitties seem content to share one box, get multiple - it will help some litterbox issues.

My cat (who is nearly 18 and has a plethora of health issues) is not fond of being picked up or held. She will let me pick her up and hug her, but not for long. She won't tolerate ANYONE else picking her up - she'll run away. However, if you sit on the couch or lay on the floor, she will walk right onto your lap or chest and settle down! So, cats are all unique in that regard - in terms of what they like, and how they prefer to be petted, held, or not held ;} Your guy is perfectly normal and he might eventually come around and WANT to be held!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Did the veterinary clinic contact the company that registered the chip?
I live in Kuwait and the clinics here only check to see if they are the ones who chipped the cat in the first place.

Quote:
(What is he humping right now, if not your other cat?)
He likes to hump the throw on our couch and if my foot happens be under there, then that's even better. He starts of with kneading motion and then works himself up into all out humping.

Quote:
Not every cat likes being picked up and not every cat is a lap cat.
Penny is not really a lap cat. She comes in for a cuddle sometimes but most of the time she just prefers to be around us. Ros on the other hand walks into my lap head butts me into petting him but refuses to sit down and relax which is what I find strange. Why walk into my lap and ask for attention if you are not going sit down enjoy it??

Quote:
Does he have a separate litter box from Penny?
He does and he was happy to cover up until two days ago. His litter box is kept in a separate room.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Today we almost had an incident with the both of them. So far Penny has been the aggressor and Ros, on the receiving end of it. Nothing serious just some hissing and growling and she was starting to tolerate him. Yesterday she had appointment with the vet to get her teeth cleaned and had to have two of her teeth removed so I kept them separated from each other to avoid stressing her out too much. She hates going to the vet and can be a little fussy when coming out of anesthesia. Today at dinner time I tried to feed them a few feet apart but she immediately stopped eating and retreated. He was sitting with me on the sofa when she walked into the room we were in and both of them started a stare down competition. Penny was the first to break contact and tried to retreat but for the first time he went after her meowing. He never really meows neither does she. She stopped in her tracks and turned around and hissed at him and at this point I thought a fight was imminent and stepped in. I don't know if he was trying to chase her out of the room, to me, it just seemed like he was tired of waiting and just wanted meet her.

He just generally seems a little off today. He's not as playful or loving and wont come when I call him and after this incident he seemed even more reluctant to socialize and curled up into a ball to sit and watch her. I waited to see if they anything else would happen but decided that was enough for today and put him back in his. All this time I was focused on not stressing her out because she is the shy and quiet and in comparison, Ros was more relaxed and calm but now I wonder if all this is getting to him. I am going to be a nervous wreck by the these two finally become friends!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 06:46 PM
Senior Cat

I'm not sure if I mentioned this in your other thread, but - some of the suggestions I have seen from others on this forum:

1. Keep the cats separated, in separate rooms. Don't let them access each other at all.

2. Rub them both with a bit of a scented oil such as vanilla, so they smell "the same" to each other.

3. Rub one with a towel, then rub the other with a towel, so that they smell each other's scent on themselves and get used to it.

Forcing them into contact with each other is not going to make them be friends. You should isolate them and let them get used to that, slowly. It takes days, sometimes weeks.

I have never had to introduce two cats to each other, but I have read what a lot of other people have posted about it :}

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Day 1
Penny got a glimpse of Ros on the first day as we brought him in and hissed at him. He was kept in a separate room from till he got his shots.

Day 4
I introduced both of them to each others scent using towels.

I tried to feed them on either side of a closed door but Penny was having none of it and would go back and wait at her usual spot till I brought her dish to her

Day 5
Tried to feed them in each other company but further apart and on either side of a door. Failed

Day 6
Ros got his shots.

I let Ros out when Penny was around and she hissed and hid for few hours. She came out and shared the same space with him after a while though. He just slept, seemed exhausted and was feeling extremely sorry for himself after his trip to the vet. She snuck up to him while he was passed out and had a quick sniff and retreated.

For dinner, fed Ros close to her spot but kept them separated visually and both of them ate. Penny stopped soon though and sat there listening to him eat so had to put him back in room so she could finish more comfortably.

Day 7
She tolerated his presence better than the previous day and was willing to be the same room as him as long he didn't get too close. By the end of that day she even walked up to him twice to smell him while he slept. Still hissed at him though when he opened his eyes a crack to see what was going on but calmed down again once he rolled to the other side went back to sleep. She was happy to just smell him and walk away and sit on her perch to continue and watch him. I tried to engage them in play but she would not.

For an early dinner (as she was due for dental the next day) that night, fed Ros close to her spot but kept them separated visually and both of them ate a little better than the previous

Day 8
Penny had her dental so I kept them segregated again to spare her any undue stress.

Day 9
Still kept them separated. Tried to feed them on either side of the door but Penny stopped after taking a few nibbles so I had to put him back in. I let him out for maybe 30 minutes after dinner as he was cooped up in his room the whole day while we were at work and then because I did not want to stress her out. That's when the almost incident happened.

I feel like we went two steps back because of the dental. It's almost as if she forgot he was there. Today I'm going to try again to feed them next to each other. Ros and Penny are only allowed to be with each when we are around to supervise otherwise he is put back in his room and she is allowed to freely roam the house. They both have their safe rooms, hers is our bedroom where has not been allowed to enter till now and his is second room which we keep closed for the most part except when he is out with us and needs access to his litter box. I figured it would not hurt to let her smell his room while he was out so that she gets used to his scents.

So this where we are at the moment.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 05:56 AM
Tom Cat

I live in Kuwait and the clinics here only check to see if they are the ones who chipped the cat in the first place.

Would it be possible to ask the vet clinic for the chip number and the name of the registering company? If someone went to the trouble of micro chipping him, then they obviously cared about him. I'd hate to think that someone out there is frantic with worry that their cat had gone missing,
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

They scanned and gave me his chip number and I physically took him to 3 out of the 4 clinics in the whole of Kuwait. The fourth one is closed. i asked each of them if there was any other way they could help me locate his owners and all them said that unless they physically chipped there was nothing else they could do to help me. It is possible that someone lost him but far more likely that he was abandoned. This is fairly common in Kuwait.

Last edited by marie73; 03-30-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page