Cat acting out of sorts - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cat acting out of sorts

Our one cat is very vocal. Every single morning she will come into our room around 4AM (or earlier) meowing and walking all over us. I'll get up and feed them and then shut the door. When I get up for good a couple hours later she is almost always sitting right outside our door, and if not, she'll come running to greet me and rub all on me and follow me around.

Well this morning I got up at 4 because I was concerned since she hadn't come in our room and found her sitting on the back of the couch. She got down and came into the kitchen, but didn't eat anything. I couldn't even tempt her with some ham. I went back to bed and got up a couple hours later and found her again on the back of the couch. The entire time I was getting ready, she didn't move, whereas if she hears me get up she comes running. I couldn't tempt her with ham again.

She was perfectly fine yesterday morning and I don't recall seeing her too much last night except sitting out in the yard in the early evening and am not sure if she ate last night or not since they were fed before I got home. A little over a week ago she had a night of looking very lethargic as well. She just sat in the middle of the floor with her eyes practically closed and wasn't interested in doing anything, although she did eat. Then she went and slept on the bed with us all night, which is out of the ordinary for her. By the next morning she was fine so I just attributed it to her being really tired.

Should we give it another day to see if she is feeling better or take her to the vet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 02:32 PM
Cool Cat

is she a hunter? could she possibly have eaten a mouse or something outside last night?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Her and one of our others are always catching mice and birds, but we usually end up finding the dead ones in the house or right outside. Like I said, I'm not sure how she was feeling last night because I didn't see too much of her. I just remember her sitting out in the yard sleeping or just relaxing in the early evening when I was out.

I just texted my husband asking how she was doing and he told me that she's been outside all morning. It irritates me that he doesn't seem more concerned about how she's doing. Just tells me "I'll let you know the next time I see her". If it were me, I'd be watching her every move and tracking her down. We have a beeper collar on them so we can locate them and I'd be using that to no end!

But if she's outside, is that a good sign?

Last edited by marie73; 08-29-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

My husband just texted me and said he thinks she is sick. she's back to laying around and says her bum is wet but doesn't smell poopy. He's taking her up to the vet now.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 07:29 PM
Premier Cat

Is she spayed? If not, maybe in heat?

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
Is she spayed? If not, maybe in heat?
Yes, she was spayed as a kitten nearly 3 years ago.

The vet was stumped as to what was going on and took blood and stool and will run the samples. We should have an answer today.

She was hiding or running away from us all last night and wouldn't eat, but this morning at about 5AM she came out from under the bed and started her "oo-ooing" that is so unique to her and followed me out to the kitchen and ate and drank so she is feeling better! However, her butt is still really wet. I don't know if she is licking it or what because I saw her sit and lick that area for about 3 minutes this morning. But that wouldn't make it that wet. There's no smell and the puddle on the floor yesterday was just clear, no mucus and no smell.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:50 AM
Cool Cat

has she pooped? could she be constipated? maybe from eating the feathers or fur of something outside. I think sometimes cats lick their butt a lot if they can't seem to get anything out. maybe trying to stimulate it into letting stuff out. crude explanation I know, but it gets the point across.

being constipated can certainly make a kitty lethargic and not want to eat actually cuz the stuff in their stomach/intestines just aint going anywhere. maybe time for a little miralax or lactulose or something? hopefully that's all it is.

let us know what the vet says, too.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie23 View Post
has she pooped? could she be constipated? maybe from eating the feathers or fur of something outside. I think sometimes cats lick their butt a lot if they can't seem to get anything out. maybe trying to stimulate it into letting stuff out. crude explanation I know, but it gets the point across.

being constipated can certainly make a kitty lethargic and not want to eat actually cuz the stuff in their stomach/intestines just aint going anywhere. maybe time for a little miralax or lactulose or something? hopefully that's all it is.

let us know what the vet says, too.
It's hard to know if she has pooped because she is one of our cats who doesn't use the litter box and poops outside. But if she was constipated, wouldn't the vet have been able to feel that in her stomach when he did the hands-on exam? Plus, her licking her rear wouldn't have made her whole backside wet because she can't reach all the way to the back.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 03:16 PM
Cool Cat

yes, you're right. hopefully the vet would have mentioned something if they felt she was constipated. not sure why else she'd be licking her bum so much making it so wet. you said there was a puddle on the floor? or was it just a wet spot where she was sitting? maybe she threw up a bunch of water only or something cuz it wouldn't go down. but the vet also didn't mention her being dehydrated at all probably. just throwing ideas out there hoping something sticks.

Maggie & Phoebe
Kitty, Lucy Girl, Bobby Boy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie23 View Post
yes, you're right. hopefully the vet would have mentioned something if they felt she was constipated. not sure why else she'd be licking her bum so much making it so wet. you said there was a puddle on the floor? or was it just a wet spot where she was sitting? maybe she threw up a bunch of water only or something cuz it wouldn't go down. but the vet also didn't mention her being dehydrated at all probably. just throwing ideas out there hoping something sticks.
No, she hasn't been throwing up. Plus that wouldn't be why her butt is wet. I can't find anything on the web either that explains it. The closest I've come is colitis, but even that says there's vomiting and blood in the stool accompanied with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page