Searching food advice - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Question Searching food advice

I haven't been here for a long time. Background history is that Gizmo has had allergy issues since he was a kitten. We have moved from Texas to Wisconsin and he has now gotten up to about 2-1/2 months between shots! We have tried raw and wet diets for these kiddos many times and have given up...I know dry kibble is not really approved, but it's what works. I have changed brands many times trying to hit on the right one. Abby was doing a lot of throwing up on some of them...she's the healthy one. I am researching ....

So my question is if there are any reviews or opinions about Origen brand. I have been looking at that one and it appears quite good? Or is there something else I should look at? TY

Mom to Abby & Gizmo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 11:04 PM
Premier Cat

Both my cats like Orijen kibble, which I use as treats in food puzzles, besides the wet canned food they get. There's another new brand I tried recently that is good that my cats love, maybe better than Orijen, and that is "gather"--Free Acres (recipe with organic free-run chicken) made by Petcurean Pet Nutrition www.petcurean.com/gathercat You may have to order it in from a pet store as a "special order" if they don't carry it, as it's made in Canada, but also is distributed in the U.S. It's about the same price as Orijen here.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 02:36 AM
Premier Cat

I've heard very good things about Orijen.

The kibble of choice here has been NV Instinct (rabbit) for several years - even though I'm trying to transition Celia over to raw from wet, I always keep kibble on hand just in case. My holistic vet said Instinct was just about the best dry you could get. He didn't say what that was based on, but I'm glad it got his thumbs up.

catloverami, Gather sounds great - I like the information on how the food is sourced, but I didn't see any canned food, under any of the lines, which surprises me. I saw that petcurean also makes Go! I thought I'd tried a Go! wet food a couple of years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thank you. I just went in and looked at their products. I appreciate your input since I am trying to do this on my own. One thing I read about Orijen was that the amount of lentils they use is not good for cats. That got me concerned because I have no idea if it's true or not.

Mom to Abby & Gizmo

Last edited by marie73; 09-02-2017 at 12:09 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I have gone in to look at NV as well. It seems to me that way back when we were first trying to work with Gizzys allergies we tried a limited ingredient rabbit and pea food. If I remember correctly, both he and Abby liked it. But that was precrystals and being switched to HSD prescription. I will now research this more. Thank you!

Mom to Abby & Gizmo

Last edited by marie73; 09-02-2017 at 12:10 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Orijen is a superior food to Gather, by quite a large margin. Orijen is 40% protein vs 30% for Gather. And not a lot of that protein is coming from vegetables sources (lentils, peas etc.) as the food is 85% animal products. Gather does not indicate the ratio of animal vs vegetable but given the lower protein and significantly higher carbs (34% Gather vs 19% Orijen) you can infer that there are way more veggies in Gather and that a fair amount of the protein is coming from veggie sources.

In summary: Orijen has 1/3 more protein and carbs are nearly halved. In the US you'll pay $3-5 more for a 4lb bag of Gather (Orijen is also 4 lbs).

For me, another benefit of Orijen is that their sources of vitamins and minerals are almost all natural, that is why you see all those botanicals at the end of the ingredient list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...

Last edited by doodlebug; 09-02-2017 at 10:28 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Doodlebug, thank you for your response. I was reading so many reviews and began second guessing myself. Do you recommend one that would be better than Orijen?

Mom to Abby & Gizmo
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Not necessarily better, but worth looking at...but Go Fit & Free or Rawz.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thank you. Checking them out now

Mom to Abby & Gizmo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page