poor appetite and constipation - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Unhappy poor appetite and constipation

Good morning everyone, about 2 months ago one of our 2 cats developed an acute respiratory emergency and had to be euthanized . Our other cat has now lost which i beleive to be 4-5 lbs ( she weighed 15 lbs on her last vet visit) She has always eaten only dry food ( she's 12 now) and I have been trying to find a wet food she will eat, without success. I know she's grieving about her lost buddy but I don't know how to help her out of it. I am playing with her more, and she now gets all the attention. She's hardly eating, and I don't know if she's constipated or not pooping because she isn't eating much. I have offered her several different things to hope she would eat them. She will just take a nibble and move on. I would appreciate any suggestions. thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 03:27 PM
Jr. Cat

First of all, I am very sorry for your loss. I am sure your furbaby had a wonderful life with you for many years and have been there, done that.

The reason your surviving kitty is not eating much is you made her eat something she never had before. As much as I hate kibbles, I know they are better than nothing, and it is perfectly normal for cats to reject canned food if they never had it before. My first cat was like that. Go back to feeding her dry food just to make sure she eats something. If she is still not eating a normal amount you will know she has a reduced appetite. That would be cause for a trip to the vet.

Meows and purrs,
Andrea

Last edited by marie73; 10-21-2017 at 12:30 AM. Reason: once again, needlessly quoting an entire post right above
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 09:58 PM
Premier Cat

I'm so sorry for the loss of your kitty. The grieving process can be quite long - mine grieved for over a year, and her personality has permanently changed, and I agree with lovingfurballs that going back to the food she was used to is probably your best bet to get her eating again. The new food coupled with the absence of her furry buddy might have been too much change at once for your kitty. Once she's eating well, you can try reintroducing wet food again.

My kitty was also not eating after her kitty companion passed away (both were about 14.5 years old at the time). She's always had issues with constipation, and stress always makes matters worse. It was hard to tell whether she wasn't eating because she was constipated, or whether she wasn't eating enough to pass much stool. Also like your kitty, she lost a lot of weight. Part of that turned out to be a reaction to her flea meds, but the other part was her anxiety and grief. She was overweight at nearly 9 lbs, and lost nearly 3 lbs in 2 months - so roughly the same percentage as your kitty - 25-33% of her body weight. That's enormous. While the circumstances are the likely reasons for the weight loss, you might consider a vet visit just to be safe, especially as she is an older cat. The vet could also prescribe an appetite stimulant, like periactin. Or you could try treats, like freeze-dried chicken or tuna that you could crumble on top of her kibble (or on top of wet food - maybe that would entice her to eat wet), a bit of boiled or roasted chicken, plain chicken or turkey baby food, sardines...anything that she might find appetizing.

I tried a pheromone diffuser and homeopathic drops (HomeoPet's Anxiety Relief, but there's also Bach's Rescue Remedy) added to her water. I think they did help a little, but it just took time. You might find that she's needier and needs more reassurance from you, so just keep giving her lots of loving as you have been. My kitty was always a velcro kitty, but after my other kitty passed away, she's become even more clingy and very needy. Keeping her active and mentally stimulated with toys will help too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 01:33 PM
Premier Cat

Have you tried mixing in a little of Fancy Feast Pate (chicken or salmon)? Many cats find this food irresistible. Another thing to try is crush up some Temptations Treats, and sprinkle it on the food or Pure Bites Treats, often this too will get a cat eating. Hope some of these suggestions will change your kitty's mind abut eating.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 01:44 PM
Jr. Cat

Temptations treats are not good for crushing into food. They are just that, treats. But for that purpose, they are very popular.

Meows and purrs,
Andrea

Last edited by marie73; 10-21-2017 at 01:53 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Crushing up Temptation Treats is an excellent idea to get a cat to eat. Just like Fancy Feast, most cats love them like we love Cheetos, Fritos, etc.

Crap. Now I want Cheetos.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page