cat with infection - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

cat with infection

Hi everyone, I'm ElektraSparkle and I hail from Queensland, Australia. Myself and my partner are the pet parents of Aria, a 10 year old male DSH. Aria's story is a little complicated.

Aria came into our care around two years ago. When we got the cat, the previous owner told us that it was female and 5 years old. After a vet visit (I had a suspicion that it was in fact male when I noticed he/she was grooming), my suspicion was confirmed however at the time we also found out that Aria was 9 years old, so when she came into our care she was 8. Since then, female pronouns have stuck as they just seem more natural to us and she doesn't seem to mind that we refer to her as a female.

Aria is a generally a very active kitty; she loves to chase and flick beetles around on the patio. She doesn't take too well to other cats as she's always been the only cat in a household. She has claimed me as the parent who cuddles her; she loves to jump on my lap and end up sitting/laying on my shoulder. My partner is known to her as the food bearing parent. Everytime we have had to move, she has always come with us. She is our baby.

Just recently, she was diagnosed with an infection and is currently on an IV drip with the vet due to her kidneys not being able to flush out toxins very well. I'm very stressed about her possible outcome as this is the first time I've experienced a hospitalisation with a cat. I could imagine this process would be stressing her out too. I'm beside myself and I feel like a terrible pet parent because I had no idea she was as sick as she is. Has anyone else felt the same way before? Any advice on how to deal with this would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 10:16 PM
Premier Cat

Hi ElektraSparkle!

Oh goodness I hope Aria is doing better now? It can be very hard to know when our kitties are sick; they hide it very well. Is it actually a kidney infection, or some other type of infection? My cats have been hospitalized but not for kidney infections. Did the vet say what the cause might be?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 01:26 PM
Premier Cat

Did you tell the vet that she likes to "chase and flick beetles". Just wondering if they contain some nasty germs/substance that may be the source of her infection? I know there are some kinds of ticks that can make pets very sick.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

The vet knows all about her behaviour. There are a lot of possible factors with her illness and to get to the cause of it would take a lot more investigating on the vet's behalf. She doesn't have ticks and she will be treated for them if she goes back outside.

Tonight Aria is a little depressed; she wants to go outside but she's under house arrest until she completes the courses of antibiotics she's on.

Last edited by marie73; 10-25-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page