Royal Canin Urinary SO Moderate Calorie Morsels in Gravy - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 12:02 AM
Premier Cat

Oh my goodness, all she needed was treatment for crystals, but her owner was ready to put her to sleep? What a sad story, though with a happy ending for her!

Just one more thing to add to what LovingFurballs and marie said about pet food companies and vet schools: my holistic vet said he always knew most of the RC and Hill's foods were junk, but that he fed both to his own pets throughout vet school, as did all of the other vet students. Why? Because the companies provided it to them for free.

Like many of the other posters you heard from elsewhere, I'm generally opposed to RC and Hill's, because of the poor quality of the ingredients in most of their foods. However, several members here have said that while many of the prescription diets are a waste of money, those that are specifically formulated for urinary care are worth it, because of what Gandalf's Mom noted.

If she goes several months with no issues, I wonder if you might be able to cut back on the rx food, maybe feeding that 3-4, or 4-5 times a week and then rounding out her diet with something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
Okay, I don't want to judge, maybe that's what you can afford, but that's really low quality food.
It's probably not all I can afford, but we'd just barely gotten the kitten and I got a super buy on it at Sam's Club, so I thought... What the heck. I used to feed my last cat (who lived to be a very healthy 22 years old, and died this past summer) Deli Delights. I can't remember, but that might have also been a Friskies product. She was a picky eater, who wouldn't eat any kind of fish, so I had to chose only chicken, bee, and turkey meals. She loved them and thrived on them. There is a small pet food store right next door to our vet that stocks all kinds of supposedly very healthy foods -- brands I've never heard of, some from Canada. I don't want to feed any of my pets substandard quality food, but right now, Allie's food is costing us $1.20 a can, and they're those little tiny cans. That's $2.40 a day or $72 a month. Then, with another cat and a dog and probably a second dog this coming spring, we'll be spending half as much on our pets as we do on two adult humans. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want to feed them all healthy food, but I would like to do so as economically as I can. What kind of food would you suggest for the kitten? (She will no longer eat kitten food, by the way.)
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirite View Post
Oh my goodness, all she needed was treatment for crystals, but her owner was ready to put her to sleep? What a sad story, though with a happy ending for her!
That's very nice of you to say, and I want you to know that I appreciate it. Allie came to me very scared and shy. She even escaped through the doggie door on one of her very first nights home. We had flyers out and everything. I was just about to call HomeAgain when I saw one of my neighbors running up to my front porch. "I think I've got your cat under my daughter's bed!" she said. Turns out Allie had gone into their house through their doggie door. Poor thing was so scared. She's had a rough start, but she is starting to warm up to me and to the other animals.

@ spirite - This is going to be a challenge. There are four vets where we take our pets. It was not my regular vet who initially prescribed the RC SO food, so when I have Samantha (the kitten) in to see my regular vet on Monday for her shots, I'll see what she thinks. I've known her for years an years, and think I can have an honest discussion with her without her being offended.

Last edited by marie73; 10-28-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 01:50 PM
Jr. Cat

My cat will not eat fish either, but I don't care. Chicken is healthier for cats anyway. When you say "no longer eat kitten food," do you mean she is old enough to switch to adult foods? How old is the kitten?

Wow, 22 years is great. Your cat was very lucky to live so long and still be healthy until the end. My last cat missed her 20th birthday by 6 months after losing a battle with CRF. Never forget the good times.

Fortunately, higher quality cat food does not have to be expensive. Once you find a food your kitten loves, you can subscribe to it online to save 15% on each order. If you do this, you can change the frequency and amount (for example, 2 cases every 6 weeks). The downside is you can't order a variety pack. To order two flavors or brands, you need two different subscriptions. Do a feeding trial locally first to make sure your kitten likes one flavor and brand enough to never get tired of it.

Meows and purrs,
Andrea

Last edited by marie73; 10-28-2017 at 02:29 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

She's 16 weeks. (I messed up; I've been telling people she's a little younger than that, but I double-checked before posting this.)

Yeah, I rescued her as a tiny kitten, abandoned with her siblings on a riverbank in September, 1995. She was actually very healthy up until the day before we had her put to sleep. She started having seizures and the vet said it was almost certainly a brain lesion. I fed her the only thing she would eat, which was Deli Delights.

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Last edited by marie73; 10-29-2017 at 01:36 PM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 07:50 PM
Jr. Cat

Following this as I am hoping to learn more about what foods I might want to shift to once I get my new cat digestive issue squared away (other thread). Like with one being a male, do I need to lean towards certain foods for him. So much to learn.

Oh and like Katspur, Duchess (previous cat) lived 18+ years. Food was mainly fancy feast. But she did have hyperthyroidism for the last 8 or 10 years.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I'd forgotten who makes Deli Delights until I saw your post. It's actually Fancy Feast Deli Delights and it's by Purina. Quite possibly I'm going to be told that Purina puts out poor quality food, too, and I suppose that could be right. All I can say is that it's virtually all Annie would eat for most of her 22 years, and she was healthy up until the very end, so it couldn't have been that bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page