Recommended dental food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Recommended dental food

Hi all, with so many dental products to choose from I'm overwhelmed with what to go with. My kitty (almost 13 years old) has a case of bad breath (her teeth look good and she has perfectly pink gums) and I need recommendations for wet and dry dental food. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

She should visit a vet, there could be things going on that you can't see.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I'd rather avoid that if possible. Don't get me wrong, I will do it as a last resort. But atm I've recently purchased some toothpaste for my cat and want to add in some dry/wet dental food. During my purchase of said toothpaste I've seen some say it worked and some say it didn't. I plan to do a few weeks of focusing on cleaning her teeth and seeing if it improves. If not... I suppose its a vet visit.

On a side note when my cat went in for something else a couple of months ago the vet did have a look at her teeth and didn't say anything. Not that I'm going to chalk it off as it being nothing wrong with her teeth just from that. I'd much rather try a few weeks of cleaning them myself before going to the vets. I'm hoping it will do the trick!

Last edited by marie73; 12-21-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 09:09 PM
Tom Cat

We feed our two a few pieces of Hill's TD food every day and it keeps their teeth fairly clean and tartar free, but it hasn't stopped us from having to spend money on other dental problems. You need to get the vet to have a look at her if her breath is bad. She may need an extraction.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Bad breath isn't just a sign of dental issues, it can also be a symptom of serious medical issues. Since the vet didn't say anything about dental disease when her teeth were recently checked, it's unlikely that this is just normal tartar build up. Something may have developed in the meantime, like an abscess, kidney disease, diabetes, digestive issues etc. At her age, she susceptible to any of these senior ailments.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 01:56 PM
Premier Cat

You received some good advice already....a few things you can try are giving your cat raw chicken wingettes---the tips of the wings. They're mostly gristle; my cats love them and they act like a toothbrush as they chew on them. There is a supplement I've had success with for bad breath, and that is "Nature's Dentist" supplement. I sprinkle it on their plate and mash in their canned cat food on top of it.
Here's a link: https://naturalpetfoods.ca/products/natures-dentist

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Yes I have and I'm grateful for the replies . I plan to ask the vet about it when I visit in January some time along with her cough. However this product you've linked seems exclusive to Canada. I can't find it on UK sites.

Last edited by marie73; 12-30-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page