? Special needs cat. Legs - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Cat

? Special needs cat. Legs

Does anyone have a cat with one leg amputated and only half of the other hind leg?
My granddaughter's cat got some strings wrap around her hind legs about 3 years ago. By the time they had came home from work and school, the circulation had been cut off for to long. Both rear legs had to be amputated at the knees. The cat has gotten a long remarkably well.
The bone had started working through the stubs and they had to take her back for repair surgery. The surgery was not completely successful. One stub healed pretty well the other not so.
Our choices are to redo the surgery on one leg or have it completely removed. Complete removal of the leg was the Vet's recommendation.
Anyone have a cat with with one leg removed and half of the other rear leg? If so, how do they get along? Any ideas?

My cats aren't spoilt, Just well loved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 09:23 PM
Tom Cat

When I was young I had a cat with twisted back legs. He had legs but could not use either of them, they were pretty much contracted into little pretzels. He did very well. He used puppy pads instead of a litter box because he couldn't get over the ledge. He passed away at 1 from an unrelated infection but his legs never held him back.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 08:49 AM
Cool Cat

I had a little crippled cat, he was partly paralyzed in the back end, (part Manx, not enough backbone/nerves, genectic defect). He couldn't jump at all, and couldn't use those legs much for anything. Every morning I'd bind up the one that dragged the worst with that magic stretchy stick-to-itself bandaging, I got it from my vet, so he'd not wear the skin off. Since he couldn't feel much back there he never tried to bite it away.

Can't answer about the litterbox issue, he had paralysis troubles and needed hand squeezing, but puppy pads sounds like a winner to me.

My little guy lasted 9 years and had to be put down due to intestinal issues resulting from the paralysis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Kattie is doing good now. When I took her to the Vet's Wednesday, the the stub we were concerned about looked a lot better. The Vet kept her overnight. Everything is looking good now.
With her first amputations, my thought were to put her down. Katie has survived 4 different dogs in the house. I guess I was wrong and she could be a testimonial for cats.

My cats aren't spoilt, Just well loved.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 07:06 PM
Tom Cat

Thanks for the update! I'm glad she's doing good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page