Penny - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Penny

Penny is having a tough time of late. She went to the vet because I suspected a UTI and she'd been losing weight. Well, it turns out she needs a dental, has high blood pressure, has a "raging" (the vet's word) bladder infection, is in Stage 2 renal disease and has an enlarged thyroid (although no hyper-T diagnosis).

So we are doing meds for the infection. Will be starting meds for the BP. Have started adding additional water to her wet food to encourage more drinking for the kidneys. I'm not going to address her teeth at this point. Recheck urine in two weeks and take another BP. Then once the infection is under control, increase her vet visits to 2x/yr.

She's my sweet 16-yo. Photo attached is from last weekend.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 01:18 PM
Cool Cat

ooh - lots of stuff the vet talked about. BUT when you put em all together, i would encourage you to not be too worried. seems like it is just the bladder infection that is the top priority right now and hopefully easily remedied with some antibiotics like you're doing anyway.

my own girl took bp medicine everyday and that kept it under control completely - so that's not anything to fret about IMHO.
she also had CKD. I think it's usually diagnosed at stage 2 for most kitties since that's when first symptoms start to show up. but my girl did really well and was pretty stable for 4+ years on the proper diet, more soupy food, a phosphorus binder, and eventually subQ fluids. it was a little scary at first, but it was routine soon enough and not a problem.
and I've had fosters with hyperthyroidism that was easily controlled with meds. nice to know your girls doesn't really need them at this point.
glad you're holding off on the dental, too. i've regretted ever since giving in and letting the vet do dental surgery on my 16 year a while back. I was too nave back then, but now I believe she really didn't need that dental. she was eating just fine. no pain or anything. I think it was just a way for the vet to make $ sadly. and at 16, she'd already been through a lot, and had other health issues, and she really was in NO condition to have anesthesia. I'll never do that again to an older kitty with health issues unless it's absolutely necessary.

Maggie & Phoebe
Kitty, Lucy Girl, Bobby Boy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 01:18 PM
Cool Cat

I love Penny's all white belly, too!

Maggie & Phoebe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 12:58 AM
Premier Cat

Hi Jeff,

I'm so sorry to hear about Penny. That's a lot of news to digest, but at least it appears that everything is treatable.

Celia's 17.5, and she had a successful dental in August. Definitely the infection needs to be the priority, but if Penny's showing any signs that discomfort in her mouth is making it hard for her to eat, you might want to consider a dental, since the CKD may make her inappetant, especially if her phosphorus is high.

Her CKD is stage 4, though her numbers are not yet through the roof - though they are literally off the chart (we'll see, follow-up bloodwork tomorrow).

Like Penny, she also has high blood pressure. She's been on high blood pressure meds for several years, as was Margaux. Benazapril was completely ineffective, as was the generic amlodipine. If Penny is prescribed amlodipine, and it isn't effective, you might try the brand name, Norvasc. My vet said that something like 40 or maybe 60% of cats don't respond to the generic. It made a huge difference for both of my girls. Celia's BP has been well-controlled for years since we switched to the brand name (though recently it skyrocketed because she wasn't eating and wasn't getting her meds).

Is Penny on Baytril for the UTI? Celia started eating again once the UTI cleared up, so I hope it'll be the same for Penny and that she'll be able to gain back some of the weight she's lost. She's such a cutie! That fluffy white tummy fur has to be impossible to resist.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks Maggie and Patty for your kind words.

Penny has always been nearly impossible to pill, at least for me, so I request meds that can be compounded into liquids or ear paste (I also try to stay away from injectables, just because of injection site issues.) Penny's prescribed antibiotic is Orbax, which is a once a day, not unpleasant tasting liquid, which she tolerates well. While Orbax is used for bacterial infections, it's only licensed use is for skin issues, so my vet had to go off-label. But in my opinion, it is better to get a drug that works that my cat can take willingly and complete her full course, even if it's off label, rather than something that raises both our blood pressures to get her to take.

She is doing remarkably better in the past four days. Her appetite is back and her crying in the litter box has stopped. Her urination has become less frequent. So I think we're well on our way to completing step 1, eliminating the bladder infection.

My vet has a recommendation for a BP med that can be compounded into a chicken or tuna flavored liquid, but she didn't tell me the name of it.

Certainly I'll stay on top of Tanya's site as the renal deterioration continues. I don't look forward to the day that I have to administer sub-q liquids, but I don't mind having to do it. As of right now, there are no phosphorus binders prescribed, just a goal to get Penny to drink more. I think I will invest in a fountain. Even if it doesn't encourage Penny to drink more, Nala *loves* moving water and every day will be a day at the Bellagio for her.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 12:35 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaCat View Post
every day will be a day at the Bellagio for her.

That's awesome.
Every kitty deserves such royal treatment. So glad she's feeling better and the vet got you something that she will take for the infection. Definitely well worth it.

I also used to get stuff compounded into liquids for Angel. Imagine my surprise when one day I decided to JUST SEE if she might eat it if I dissolved it in her food. Holy moly!!! She ate it right up without even noticing! and to think I had pretty much given myself carpal tunnel hiding her pills in tiny balls of raw food or cream cheese or whatever for SO long. ha ha! Maybe you'll get lucky with future meds if Penny needs some. I swear, angel had no problem eating the dissolved Pepcid or amlodipine (for BP) in her food for years.

Continued good health to you and Penny!

Maggie & Phoebe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page