Loosing weight/lethargic - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Loosing weight/lethargic

So feisty in the past week has really dropped weight. I increased her food but she has continued to loose weight. She has also not been as active and has seemed like she just doesn't feel very good. She is eating and drinking just fine but I just feel that something is off. I was thinking she may have worms but I don't know how she would of got them all of our dogs are treated for fleas so our house is flea free. She has also not showed her normal signs of having worms and sable has kept weight on just fine.

I made her an appt at the vet for Friday but my mom says I am over reacting (something I do tend to do) and to just increase her food even more and just deworm her. Then if that doesn't work to take her to the vet then. My worry is that if it is something serious it may be to late by then.

So I'm just looking for some advice if this was your kitty would you be taking her to the vet or would you deworm and wait? Any and all advice on this is welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 05:30 PM
Jr. Cat

I would always play it safe at have your kitty checked up at a vet clinic. Even if it's not something bad, it's never a bad thing to have your kitty checked out occasionally.
I hope everything turns out okay! <3

-My_Cat_Smudge
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 07:26 PM
Cat Addict

I just took my cat to the vet for lethargy and not as hungry as before. He wasn't losing weight. There was a time he was losing weight and I increased his food and that did it. If you are increasing food and the cat is losing weight, and if it is worms, the vet can prescribe something and advise. My cat's tests were fine but I still have that feeling...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

She is eating fine still Thank Goodness she doesn't always look sick but sometimes I just see her and she just seems to look at me like "I don't feel good" she has also just been off to me. I have had her since she was 2 weeks old, she was the runt of a litter I raised. I really bonded with her and my gut says there is something going on. If i take her to the vet and it turns out to just be worms I will do a happy dance that it's something easily fixed!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 02:33 PM
Premier Cat

You don't say how old she is....if she's middle age or older 8+ yrs., loss of weight while still eating well could be that she is diabetic, especially if she is drinking more water than usual. A drop in usual activity and lethargy are also signs that all is not well with her. If she had tape worms, you would see some of the rice-like segments of worms stuck to her fur on her behind or find them where she sleeps. Give us an update.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

She is 4 years old, I am not sure on her water intake but I have not seen her drinking as much. She has had tapeworm before and I have checked multiple times for the rice segments but have found none. She also shows other signs of having worms as well (dragging her but, etc) and has shown none of this. I will update after her appt Friday to let everyone know what I find out.

Last edited by marie73; 02-14-2018 at 03:11 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

So feisty has a uti that the vet thinks is caused by stress. They checked her thyroid and that came back normal. They did want to do bloodwork but I just couldn't afford it right now. She goes back in 3 weeks and if she has not progressed by then I will do the bloodwork since I will have the money then.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 11:15 PM
Premier Cat

Aw, I'm sorry Feisty has a uti. I'm pretty sure my girl has one right now too.

Have you started antibiotics?

I'm assuming the UTI was confirmed by urinalysis? Is there something specific that the vet wanted to check with bloodwork?

My vets have always said that we know our kitties better than anyone, and if we feel that something is off, something is off. Good for you for going with your gut! UTIs can be painful.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

She started an antibiotic and an anti inflammatory as well. The uti was confirmed with a urinalysis, she had 2 different kinds of bacteria in her urine. I know one was rods not sure on the other one though so the antibiotic is a more aggressive one.

They wanted to run the bloodwork just to see how her organs where functions since she had been loosing weight. If she is not showing signs of improvement with in 2 weeks we will be going back sooner and doing the bloodwork. I am hoping it's just the uti but the vet did also feel some lumps up around her chin/neck area. If the uti clears up and she is still not improved then will be investigating the lumps more so.

Last edited by marie73; 02-19-2018 at 01:45 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 06:43 PM
Premier Cat

Feisty's probably already feeling better, although it may take a couple of weeks before she really feels like herself again. Fingers crossed that it's just a UTI and that once it clears up, she'll be eating better and gaining back that weight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page