As good/healthy as Ziwipeak? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

As good/healthy as Ziwipeak?

It's been some time since I have checked in, but I'm wondering if anyone has 'discovered' any quality (equal to ziwipeak or feline natural) at a more do-able price. Has Hound & Gatos been behaving lately? (no recalls, etc?)

It's very pricey to only feed those New Zealand foods daily (we're about 225 kcals and that comes out to at or above $200 per month!). My guy weighs about 15 lbs (F5 Bengal) but he will eventually try other foods if thats all there is in front of him. I just want to be sure that it's NOTHING by Purina, or has ingredients from China. Anything made in the USA? I checked Dave's, but he still uses carageenan.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:35 PM
Premier Cat

As far as I know, no issues with Hound & Gatos, but maybe doodlebug will be by to confirm. She'd also be able to give you some food suggestions.

My fussy one only liked Ziwipeak for a few days, so I now have 6 or 7 cans of the lamb flavor here. Too bad you're not closer to me.

Personally, I've always liked Instinct. Alas, my girl only liked their dry. It was always rabbit, and a member here checked with the company to see where it was sourced, and I believe the rabbit was from France. I don't think the rabbit is much less expensive than Ziwipeak, but the other flavors are.

Another member had posted a list of carrageenan-free foods, which I swiped but will credit here, in case this helps. It's from a year ago, though, so you may want to double-check:

From Augustine’s post in thread “Inappropriate urination”

Foods that contain gums, but not carrageenan:
- Addiction (guar gum)
- Against The Grain (xanthan gum)
- Blue Buffalo: Wilderness Wild Delights + Tasty Toppers (guar gum)
- Chicken Soup for the Soul (guar gum)
- Earthborn Holistic (guar gum)
- Evanger's (guar gum)
- Fussie Cat (locust bean gum)
- Health Extension (guar gum)
- Nutrisca: Truly Shredded (guar gum)
- Nutro: Natural Choice (guar gum)
- PureVita (guar gum)
- Purina Beyond: Grain-Free w/ Gravy (guar gum)
- Replenish Pet (guar gum)
- Wellness: Signature Selects, some flavors only (guar gum)
- Weruva (xanthan gum)
- Wild Calling (guar gum)
*add Holistic Select (cassia and xanthan gums)

Foods that contain neither gums nor carrageenan:
- Hound & Gatos: Rabbit flavor only
- Tiki Cat: Grill/Luau flavors
- ZiwiPeak
- FirstMate
- Halo: Impulse + Vigor
- Lotus: Just Juicy
- Redbarn: Chicken flavor only
- Bravo!
- Hill's Ideal Balance: Grain-Free

I think that last is definitely not an option...grain-free, carrageenan-free, whatever-free...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanx. I'll look a couple up and check. Marie73 had a chat with me some time ago, but I have not seen her respond to this. Before we went to (as close as we can to raw) wet food, we used pure-vita dry. Took me a month to wean my cat offa that but we at the time thought it was pretty good, until we read about the peris of any dry stuff.
Thanks again
Fred

Last edited by marie73; 02-17-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 04:09 PM
Jr. Cat

FYI Blue Buffalo wet cat food does have carrageenan. Not sure if it is all or just some, but I returned the cans I purchased.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 07:42 PM
Cat

I recently went to Dave's canned (many are grain-free without carrageenan) and my guy loves it. It's relatively inexpensive and best part you can get it on Chewy!

https://davespetfood.com

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

DAVE’s
Naturally Healthy Grain Free
.....................................pro fat carb
Chicken...........................33 64 3
Turkey............................33 64 3
Turkey & Giblets...............29 68 4
Beef & Chicken Dinner.......29 68 4
Chicken & Whitefish..........28 69 4

IMHO, looks low in protein and pretty high fat. Carbs look good. But I'm no expert!

Last edited by marie73; 02-21-2018 at 03:14 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 09:01 PM
Cat

There's a school of thought that any % of protein over 30 in an adult cat gets excreted in their urine. I've long believed it is the SOURCE of the protein, i.e. organ meat not 'by-product' that is most important. That's one reason I don't feed dry and a reason why many that IMO don't know better do, they get attracted to the 40% protein claims. I will also say without a doubt soy protein is awful.

Its always a potentially touchy subject, what we feed our little ones. So in the end I can only espouse what works for my pet.

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Correct! I quit dry food [kibble] (aka 'kitty crack') years ago, and my cat thanks me frequently, buy no vet bills, doing well, except for his overweight problem, which I 'take the heat' for (I'm a sucker for when he acts so nice, and points to the food dish)!

Last edited by marie73; 02-22-2018 at 01:41 AM. Reason: OMG unnecessary quote
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 05:11 AM
Premier Cat

I have a CKD kitty, so the protein content is always a debate. It seems that the consensus is generally moving towards a reasonable protein level but good quality protein - ie, not by-products or foods that are primarily "meal." Renal diets are low protein, based on the theory that protein is hard on the kidneys. But CKD kitties will eventually develop anemia and muscle wasting, and cats are after all obligate carnivores. I'm sort of ignoring the low protein thing. I'm trying to feed the renal diet sometimes to control high phosphorus but am trying to find chicken liver and chicken hearts. Alas, at the moment, all I've found is Fancy Feast chicken liver & hearts. And she likes it. Ack.

smoda, only the Blue treats are carrageenan-free. I think all of the regular canned foods have carrageenan.

And I do find it weird that even within one brand, some flavors have carrageenan and some don't. I suppose it depends on the type of food, but it still seems to me that if some flavors don't need carrageenan, the manufacturer would be able to figure out an alternative.

Celia's so picky that I never even bothered to try to limit her foods to carrageenan-free. And now I have to prioritize low phosphorus, and then prioritize by whatever-she'll-eat. 57 types of food have been in (and many already out of) the cat food cabinet since early January.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page