Cat won't eat Wet food! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Unhappy Cat won't eat Wet food!

My 10 month old cat Stella won't eat wet food. I have tries pretty much every brand and all she will do with it is lick the juice off and then leaves it for her brother to eat. I have tried all the higher quality brands but she refuses to eat it and just picks at it.
She has developed quite a little belly and i'm pretty sure it's because of the carbs from the dry food. (I feed them solid gold and wellness dry kibble).
I recently ordered some of the Stella and Chewy's freeze dried raw food so ill be trying that but I'm not quite sure what to do. Ideally I would love for them both to just be eating raw food and also wet food but I have heard cats will protest by not eating and I don't want to stress her...
Any advice? I don't want to feed her anything like Fancy Feast of those brands that I have heard people call kitty crack lol
Also if anyone has transitioned their cats to raw food or the freeze dried raw any good brands?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 08:06 AM
Jr. Cat

I have a girl that eats wet food but only if itís in the right form. I have to add warm water to the pate type of texture and mush it up with a fork to make it more soupy. She just licks it rather than picking it up with her mouth. If I didnít do it that way she would do the same as your kitty does.

Larry

Don't be to critical of a mistake. It is evidence that at least
someone tried to do something.
Become better than you used to be, not better than someone else.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 12:00 PM
Kitten

I have a similar deal with Artie. He's been on the same high-end foods for years, and still, especially after the food has sat for over 1/2 hour or more, he snubs it. So I pick up the bowl, drip just a tiny bit of water in, and make a deal about mashing/stirring it in, then set it back down. He thinks I have given him NEW food! (Haaaw haaww Bwwaa Haaa!) Works almost every time.

(PS...shhhh. I hope he doesn't read this)

Last edited by marie73; 02-23-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 10:54 PM
Premier Cat

Me too. My kitty will only eat pates, and even then only when I smush it up with extra water.

However, because she has CKD, she's even fussier, and I have to consider phosphorus content, so I got a mini-processor and have started blending some foods that come in chunks or slices, and this has worked pretty well.

I tried to transition Celia to raw last summer and started with Instinct frozen raw bites, because they're so small. I just thawed 2 or 3 little bites to begin with and mixed them into her regular food. We got to about 50-50 raw/wet, and then she suddenly decided she wasn't going to eat raw anymore. I tried Stella & Chewy and another brand of dehydrated raw, and she will have nothing to do with dehydrated raw. I also tried Answers frozen raw, as well as Darwin's and Balanced Blends (both of those you have to order direct from the companies; they ship on dry ice). No, no, and no.

Stella sounds like Celia, in that she likes to lick her food. Celia will stop eating the minute she runs into the slightest little lump. The problem with raw is that it is all lumps. My new plan is to try putting some raw into the processor, but I haven't worked up the courage to deal with that yet. But it's something you might want to try?

I hope you have more success than I have!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Are you leaving dry food down and then offering wet? If so, you need to remove the dry completely. She needs to be hungry and only have wet available. If she won't eat the wet after 24 hours with no dry then yes, give her some dry as she needs to eat.

You can entice her with toppers....sprinkle a little freeze dried on the wet food. Or grind up some kibble into a dust and sprinkle a little on. Parmesan cheese works too. Heck if she likes Cheetos grind some up. Freeze dried meat treats are good too....they crumble easily. Whole Life, Pure Bites or Orijen treats work well for this....buying the bigger bags intended for dogs are more economical. Basically anything she likes can be a topper. Holly demands toppers on every meal, sometimes she stops eating in the middle and asks for more topper (yes she is majorly spoiled).

Good brands of kitty food that I consider "kitty crack" are Weruva (they have 4 lines...Weruva, Truluxe, Cats in the Kitchen and BFF), Tiki Cat and Fussie Cat. These are all chunky/shredded foods. Texture is important to cats...some will eat anything (my Misty) others have a firm preference (Holly is a pate girl).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Yes they have dry food also available..But I would like to eventually transition them both off dry kibble completely. Thank you I will try that.
Would it be a good idea if tonight I just offered wet food? and then if she doesn't eat it don't give her dry food overnight and try again with fed food in the morning?

Last edited by marie73; 02-26-2018 at 09:36 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 02:31 PM
Cat Addict

My two went on strike all of a sudden and not eating the canned food I have had all along and I rotate 5 types. I use the freeze dried topper and Doodlebug I also have to add more midway! So I actually started feeding them a little less and it has helped a bit. If they don't eat much at one meal, they seem hungrier at another. I have one that would love to just eat dry food! I only give her a little as a treat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page