Experiences with Blue Buffalo food... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Experiences with Blue Buffalo food...

I am new with owning cats as Pixie is my first cat so I am trying to learn as I go along. Although we rescued Pixie from the street, he is a very picky eater. We knew from the beginning we wanted him to eat grain free and to stay away from "kitty crack." Shortly before we moved into our apartment and found Pixie, the neighbors tried feeding him cheap cat junk food and he wouldn't have anything to do with it. Anyways, we have tried a couple of different types of food for him and we feed him a mixture of Sheba wet food and Blue Buffalo Wilderness kibble. We have offered him the wet Blue Buffalo food and he won't have anything to do with it, and the only wet food he will eat is Sheba. He also won't eat any fish, so he eats chicken, turkey, and beef. Anyhow, I took Pixie to his first vet appointment earlier this week to get shots done and see what else he needs. The veterinarian told me that Blue Buffalo causes urine crystals in cats, and not only did she tell to stop feeding him Blue Buffalo, she tried to sell me the Science Diet in her lobby. I looked at the ingredients and walked out without buying any of it. I'm not trying to bash the vet or question her knowledge in any way, I just felt like she was trying to sell the Science Diet to me and I didn't get any answers to my other questions and concerns about Pixie. I know many of you have owned cats for awhile and have a lot of experience with them. I also want to add that I have a close friend with a cat that is 14 years old that eats the same thing as Pixie, wet food and Blue Buffalo dry kibble, and her cat hasn't had any health problems at all. Does anyone here have any experiences with Blue Buffalo, good or bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Not a fan of BB. Lots of anecdotal info about it causing problems like crystals, digestive problems, wonky blood levels etc. We have one local vet who abhors it, but he doesn't try to sell Science Diet...he sends them to my store for good food.

Couple years ago, Purina (of all companies) sued BB because they had BB's food analyzed and found evidence of by-products and corn. BB's response was to blame their suppliers, but no indication that they would ramp up their inspections and testing on incoming ingredients. Suit was settled out of court and terms were not disclosed. Trust BB? No way...

Icing on the cake....it was just announced yesterday that BB is being purchased by General Mills. Coming soon....Blue Buffalo with Cheerios Nuggets

So find another kibble...Orijen, Fromm, Fussie Cat, Now, and Rawz are good ones to start. All will be found in independent pet food stores, they have store locators on their website. Even better....ditch the kibble and go with an all wet food diet. In general, kibble is the primary cause of crystals, kidney disease and other urinary tract issues...no matter what the brand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 11:18 PM
Premier Cat

Oh that's interesting...So General Mills is now getting into the pet food industry? Doodlebug, do you remember someone on this forum talking about feeding a cat Cheerios? I could swear it was here that I read about someone who had found the member's kitty, or some other kitty, didn't know what to feed a cat, and gave it Cheerios. Poster cat for the new GM/BB line...

I fed Blue Buffalo for a while to my kitties. My current kitty is super finicky, and that's what she would eat for a while. It's been years now, and I'm glad she doesn't eat it anymore.

And you were right to not be sold on the veterinary foods. They are, for the most part, junk - and expensive junk at that. Vets don't necessarily get a lot of education in feline nutrition, unfortunately. I remember reading, though I haven't verified it, that vet school courses in feline nutrition are often taught by someone from one of the companies that makes rx diets. My holistic vet told me that all veterinary school students feed their pets either Hill's or Royal Canin because...the companies provide it to them for free while they're in school.

I'd go with doodlebug's recommendations; she has an incredible amount of knowledge of the different brands and foods. For wet foods, other brands that my fussy one has liked are Wellness, Dave's, and Holistic Select. And ZiwiPeak. But it's really the ingredients that matter. And definitely try to get your kitties to eat all wet food if you can.

I'm sure there are kitties who've eaten Purina Cat Chow and lived to be 20 (well, maybe not, but probably...somewhere...), but that's not because of the food - it's in spite of it. There are always exceptions to the rule. Overall, wet food is far better for kitties' health than dry. Renal disease is one of the top, if not the top, cause of death in senior kitties, and good hydration is essential to good kidney health.

The chain pet stores carry some good brands - I think you can find Wellness and Instinct pretty easily - but independent pet stores carry a lot of other high quality foods that aren't as well known that you won't find at Petco or Petsmart, like Dave's. (The other really big advantage is that the employees actually know their products and are helpful.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page