Cat Got a "Potty Patch" - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Cat Got a "Potty Patch"

At least that's what my vet calls it....where they shave the hair on kitty's back end so he can go to the litter box without making a mess on himself. Snow Kitty had a very large mat back there, so this morning the vet tech got it off and also shaved him a potty patch and down his back legs a little.

When we got home and he came out of the carrier, I caught a glimpse of his backside and it looked awful! Maybe what I'm seeing is normal and it's just usually covered with hair, but his anus looked all dark, almost like it was bloody (or poopy, I guess) and his scrotum and urinary tract opening looked like they were bleeding a little as well. I'm not SURE....he obviously isn't wanting me poking around back there, but he sure looks a mess. Is this normal?

He's acting fine, other than maybe his back end is a little sensitive. He's choosing to lie down rather than sit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 05:36 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Smokey, my Celia just had that done recently, and though I've obviously peeked under her tail many times, I was at first very surprised at what it looked like. I've always had girls so am not familiar with what would be normal for a boy, but her anus was pink and nothing was bloody. It can look dark around the anus if their anal glands are full. But looking like there might be bleeding anywhere does not seem normal at all. Is it possible that he was nicked with the scissors (or whatever they use) while they were doing the trim? Or maybe if the mat was very close, the skin was pulled a bit and broken, and that's where blood might be coming from? I suppose your vet is now closed so you can't ask.

Would he object if you just took a warm washcloth or tissue and pressed it gently around the area just to see if it might be dried blood, or even a bit of poo that's stuck?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you for the reply!

It doesn't really look like he was hurt, I guess. It just looks messy. I really don't know if they got all of the mat off. His "boy bits" definitely look nicked tho. He's licked himself a few times, but seems okay. I guess maybe if he needs to have this done again I may think twice about it...or at least ask some questions first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 07:25 PM
Premier Cat

I would definitely mention it to your vet though, just so they're aware. It might have been a vet tech who didn't have much experience, who could learn by knowing that it was less than a perfect trim. Maybe Snow Kitty suddenly moved unexpectedly - I could easily see a cat reacting by flinching when a stranger starts to get too close to a sensitive area, and maybe if he was showing signs of discomfort, they stopped before the whole mat was out. I know that when mats are very close to the skin, it can difficult to remove them. Celia's trim wasn't exactly perfect either - there were a couple of areas where the fur didn't get as much of a trim. But in her case, it's more esthetic than anything else. I wasn't expecting them to trim ALL of the fur!

You could try putting just a little Vaseline there to help in case the skin's broken. This might also deter your little guy from further licking and potentially irritating the area.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Cat

They had said if he was not very cooperative they would have to sedate him, but they didn't so I figured he did okay. The tech who brought him out didn't act like anything was wrong. She sounded like she took care of everything.

They did one on him once before. I don't remember at all what it looked like, which tells me it must have been okay. As soon as I saw this one I thought something wasn't right. But maybe I'm seeing things. He seems to be acting normal.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 07:48 AM
Cool Cat

My longhaird dog had one of these once, and it did look odd, but took care of the situation very well.

Kinda reminds me of when they shaved *me* before I had my baby. Not pleasant. I bet your cat will be fine, and this will be a very worthwhile care routine. I wonder if there's any way to be doing some of this at home before the hair gets long enough (again) to be a problem? Maybe "baby scissors", the ones with round things on the ends so there's not unexpected pokes?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldercat View Post
My longhaird dog had one of these once, and it did look odd, but took care of the situation very well.

Kinda reminds me of when they shaved *me* before I had my baby. Not pleasant. I bet your cat will be fine, and this will be a very worthwhile care routine. I wonder if there's any way to be doing some of this at home before the hair gets long enough (again) to be a problem? Maybe "baby scissors", the ones with round things on the ends so there's not unexpected pokes?
I don't know. He barely lets me look there, let alone get back there with an apparatus. I tried to take a pic of it while he was standing today. It didn't come out very good, but I can clearly see redness on his boy bits. I don't think I will take him back there for this. I figured the vet's office would do a good job, but now I'm wondering if he didn't struggle and who knows what they did to try to keep him still?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page