Pick up or leave food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Pick up or leave food?

My kitties have been very fussy about their canned food lately. They have about 30 minutes to eat and then I go to work. If they leave most of the food, should I pick it up? My feeling is yes since it will sit out all day. And do I throw it out?1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 05:43 PM
Premier Cat

You didn't mention the age of your "kitties"....are they really kittens or adult cats? If kitties, under 4 mos. yes they should be fed about 3-4 times a day. If they're really adult cats, over 11-12 mos. of age, they should be fed twice a day, with a snack before your bedtime. Most cats have reached their full maturity and growing by then, tho some "fill out" a bit more in the next few months. One of the things you can do is change their eating schedule to when you will be home. Feed them very early in the morning when you wake up, and then give them a second meal when you return home from work. I haven't found that canned food will "go off" in several hours. The problem with leaving food down, is that if one of the cats is a piggy, he will eat any food left down and before you know it you've got a cat becoming obese. If they both are picky eaters, and don't usually clean their plate, then I think it would be OK. Others may have a different opinion. One of my cats is picky about certain brands of cat food; the other cat eats everything, so I'm doing some juggling as well.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I am sorry I didn't give enough information. They are both well into adulthood. One is almost 6 and the other I am not sure since she was on the street but no more than 8. I feed twice a day just as you suggested and in separate closed off space. All of a sudden they seem to be leaving their food, one more than another. BUT not losing weight. I suspect my male is eating elsewhere or feeding himself more. They do go out in the day as they please. First thing this morning he is in a tree probably after the birds. I don't want to leave the food for 9 hours+ that I work. It's just that I am wasting a lot of food. I have 5 canned brands and they seem to be getting very fussy about most of them.
I am thinking I will feed less and grind up some dry and put it on the food. Let's see what happens. Once he takes a bite, I don't want to save it for the next meal due to possible bacteria? It's so frustrating because I could feed dry and there would be no problem. They even like cheap brands with by products better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 11:30 AM
Premier Cat

Because your cats are going outside, and he isn't eating as much food inside, he is likely supplementing food.....by eating wild life (birds/mice/voles/rabbits) or finding pet food on a neighbor's porch and/or being fed by the neighbor. I've never had a cat that will eat any kind of meat that has spoiled.....cats really like fresh meat unlike dogs that will eat spoiled meat. I don't think that the cat food could spoil in 9 hrs., but a lot depends on the temperature of the room......if you have a room/basement that's cooler, you could put the dish there, or place the cat dish in a bowl of ice cubes.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."

Last edited by catloverami; 03-07-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page