Finally switching to wet food - Suggested brands? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Finally switching to wet food - Suggested brands?

Our three cats Trin (10 yrs), Gohan (8 yrs), and Olive (3yrs) currently eat Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Chicken and Green Pea kibble. For a treat after playtime, they share a pouch of Applaws Chicken and Asparagus (Trin is obsessed with chicken, Gohan loves asparagus, Olive likes food).

I am overwhelmed with the amount of brands and types out there. I want to get something healthy and good for them. We had them try the Natural Balance pate and it was a resounding no. I thought maybe something shredded or with chunks would go over better than a pate. I haven't seen anything recent on the forum regarding canned food brands, so I though I would see if people had recommendations of good brands? The one's I've been eyeing trying were Dave's Naturally Healthy Shredded Chicken Dinner in Gravy, Merrick (although which line?) and Wellness. Not sure if any of these will appeal yet. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 11:27 AM
Jr. Cat

Hey there!
So I have done quite a bit of research on canned foods because as a first time cat owner I realized that not all of them were actually good. What I have been feeding my cats that they seem to love is the Wellness brand wet food or most recently I have really been liking the "Instinct" brand of cat food. They claim that it is like 95% all protein so they add in there the meat and organs and stuff too which is good for cats. Also instinct sells freeze dried food that you just rehydrate with water and give it to them..or theres also a brand called "Stella and Chewy's" that also freeze dries their food and it is like 98% real meat organs and bones just ground up and freeze dried. I usually rehydrate or I will give it the them as treats because my male cat just loves it!

Last edited by marie73; 03-09-2018 at 03:22 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks Stella! I had found a list of brands from “What Cas Should Eat” by Jean Hofve. Seemed she did a lot of research into the ingredients and formulas. At the end of the book there is a list of her preferred brands, of which Wellness is listed. Good to hear that your cats also love it! I bought a few cans today, along with Holistic Select flavors. We will see how this goes. 😬
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 02:14 AM
Premier Cat

Fingers crossed for you Khadsell. It's a complete crapshoot trying to figure out what one kitty will eat, let alone three! My girl only does pates, and she's eaten these brands for at least a month: Dave's 95% line, Merrick's Purrfect Bistro, Wellness CORE, and Holistic Select. She used to get Instinct dry (rabbit), and I like Instinct in terms of quality, but their pates are not very smooth, and she didn't like them. She just recently starting eating Wellness CORE again, and regular Wellness. Unfortunately, she has advanced CKD, and Wellness isn't the best brand for CKD kitties (pretty high in phosphorus, and it has cranberries, not good for kidney kitties).

Stella&Toby, if you're interested, Instinct - and I believe Stella and Chewy's as well - also does frozen raw (not dehydrated). The Instinct raw bites are tiny, each one not much larger than a piece of kibble, so it's a nice way to try to introduce raw if you're interested.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

So test one was Dave’s Shredded Chicken Dinner. Olive ate it up, Trin wouldn’t touch it and Gohan literally gagged when he smelled it. At least Olive can finish the stock since I had to buy a case lol.

I bought some other brands and I’ll try and put a little on top of the food next time.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 12:06 PM
Jr. Cat

Thank you! I'll have to give that a try because I would ideally love for them not to eat kibble at all no matter how healthy it seems

Last edited by marie73; 03-13-2018 at 03:09 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Second experiment: Earthen Holistic Chicken Fricatsee with vegetables. Olive again liked it, Trin sniffed it a bit more but didn't try it and Gohan ate a fair amount.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 12:50 AM
Premier Cat

LOL so it looks like Trin is going to be your finicky one...I haven't tried that particular Dave's, because Celia won't eat anything shredded (she just licks up the gravy), but most of the Dave's have veggies. You might try one of the brands that has essentially nothing but shredded chicken, or chicken & liver: Wellness Signature Selects shredded chicken & chicken liver, Fussie Cat chicken in gravy, Weruva Nine Liver are ones I've tried recently. These all actually look edible, not like cat food!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Yeah, spirite, Trin can be picky. He loves chicken (goes crazy when he smells us having it and we give him some as a treat) and he eats the Applaws supplemental stuff (and makes sure the others haven't missed any in their bowls - even if they are still eating from them lol). Someone finished his portion of the Erathen Holistic yesterday after we went to work, but not sure if it was him or Gohan. It actually looked like shredded chicken I would eat, and we got a few different Wellness flavors to try next, so I'm glad you recommend it. It's a pretty fun experiment.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 01:43 PM
Cat Addict

I am glad you are enjoying it. After a few years, now mine are changing their minds about some of the food so I am trying some others!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page