best way to bathe a very dirty kitty? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

best way to bathe a very dirty kitty?

Miss Celia got an enema at the vet today...They cleaned her up, but then she pooped in the carrier, so I cleaned her up. But she's pooped again a couple of times, and it's been quite liquidy, so now she is stinking up the living room.

I put a drop of pet shampoo in enough warm water in the tub to cover her legs and butt, filled a basin with just plain warm water, and used a washcloth then paper towels. I haven't peeked to see just how dirty she is, but I feel like having her sit in the tub may just make matters worse and get ick all over her.

Anyone have an effective way of bathing a post-enema kitty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Ok well, that was fun...

I scooped her up in a cheap little fleece pet blanket, and put her in the tub on the blanket. That seemed to work pretty well actually. It provided more traction than a towel, and she must have felt fairly secure because this was the first time she's been in the tub without immediately trying to climb out. The blanket was actually not very dirty at all so I'm going to put it in the washing machine, but it was cheap enough that I would have been ok just throwing it out.

I had filled a basin with clean water to rinse her off, but since I only put a couple of drops of shampoo in the water, I didn't feel she needed a rinse. That would have doubled the time and stress, so should anyone ever need to bathe a post-enema kitty, I would definitely recommend not putting much shampoo at all into the water. And not putting too much water in the tub either. I think there was about 1.5" so she didn't feel like she was completely submerged.

That was my workout for the month.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 10:12 AM
Cool Cat

good job! hope you don't have to do it again but at least you're a pro now!

i also had a kitty who needed an enema. kept her in the linoleum covered bathroom for quite a while after she got home from the vet because they told me she might leak some more for a while. i can't remember how long i kept her in there cuz it was so long ago, but i did keep her company so she didn't feel like she was in prison for being bad. however, i had to give her baths periodically. i was very lucky that she was a gentle giant and didn't fight too much. she would try climbing out of the tub a lot but never actually attacked me. i would always put a rubber bath mat on the floor of the tub, too, though - like how you used the towel for traction. i think it definitely makes them feel more secure because it gives them some footing. and i never had the water higher than her legs. i would just scoop water with my hand and wash/rinse her that way. of course, if you have a handheld sprayer, that is a HUGE convenience as well. a gentle warm spray starting at her tail and moving up so she couldn't see it coming worked best.

Maggie & Phoebe
Kitty, Lucy Girl, Bobby Boy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

maggie, a handheld sprayer is a brilliant idea! My showerhead has a detachable sprayer, but I'm not sure if I can get all of the water to come through it. If it's only partial, then she'll be getting wet from above I have to go experiment, because...there is more poo. Sigh.

Celia wants out of the tub, but she's also not a biter/scratcher, and this time she wasn't even vocal. The first couple of times she needed a bath, she sounded like a siren: ahhhHHHH? ahhhhHHHH?

She didn't resist the second bath last night as much. I think she realized that she'd be getting clean. Now I just wish she would let me dry her better...She's anemic so sensitive to cold. The noise of the blow dryer scares her, so I put her on a heated pad last night. She hopped off to go sit on the cold floor.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 09:32 PM
Tom Cat

My Ziggy had a similar event with spontaneous diarrhea. I didn't use shampoo at all, just rinsing. She was a champ, possibly because she was miserable covered in poo and wanted to get clean. I used the bathtub with a few inches of water and left the bathroom door open. I think she felt safe because she wasn't trapped so she didn't have to fight. Towards the end she stood on her hind legs and put her front feet on my shoulders; the position was perfect to reach her backside and clean her off. Then I wrapped her in a towel and snuggled her dry.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 10:17 PM
Cool Cat

good luck with the handheld. hope it's long enough so you can spray her from beneath. i would have to block lucy with my whole body so she couldn't escape, then have the sprayer in one hand and be washing her down and pressing out the water with the other hand. i always ended up taking a bath WITH her basically. i'd try to squeeze as much water off her as possible by running my hand down her body a few times, then let her out of the tub so she could stand on a towel. then i'd wrap her up with another and pat her as dry as possible. that first towel would always get pretty soaked, so i also used a 2nd towel to wrap her up in. that worked pretty well and then she could groom and dry off the rest of the way on her own. i just kept her room nice and warm so she wouldn't get a chill. : )

Maggie & Phoebe
Kitty, Lucy Girl, Bobby Boy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Amy, lucky you that Ziggy was so cooperative! Celia is only cooperative to the point where she senses that I'm easing up. And my first kitty is the reason I always shut the bathroom door now. I left it open the first time I gave my first cat a bath, she eluded my grasp and went running through the apartment. I was cleaning up puddles, wet spots, and clumps of fur for quite some time.

And the first time I gave Celia a bath, it didn't occur to me to remove the litterbox, because it didn't occur to me that she would try to hide in it once she was wet...Yep. Breaded kitty. Just try getting gobs of wet clumping litter off a cat, a floor, a rug...:O Ugh.

maggie, Miss Celia seems to be quite clean, so she's off the hook for a bath tonight. I'll test out the the handheld sprayer tomorrow just so I know whether it'll work. Oh yes, I always end up pretty well soaked after cat baths too, no matter how sly I think I'm being. I had time to change my shirt before the holistic vet came over yesterday, but not my jeans. My left knee was dripping water.

The only good news is that this seems to be the end of the poo, finally. I chucked the first blanket she was on last night. I think the second one is salvageable, but I can't cope with cleaning more poo right now.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Cool Cat

congrats! sounds like the worst is over and you both survived! love the "breaded" cat analogy. ha ha!

also had a cat before who my ex and I had to bathe when we discovered he brought ringworm into our home. ack! and he did NOT like being bathed. silly us tried to do him in the kitchen sink, since we saw them do that at the non-profit we adopted him from and he did ok. unfortunately, the ex and i were not as efficient or quick and he got very impatient and jumped out of our hands and ran ALL over the house, too, like your first kitty. we were mopping up soapy water all over the place after that. definitely prefer a closed bathroom door these days if i ever have to do it again!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 05:43 PM
Tom Cat

I'm glad to hear the poo is mostly done. Poor Celia! I guess my encounter with Ziggy and bath time was unique. She likes the water and she is very trusting. I have no idea what I did to deserve such an awesome cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page