Post Surgery Question (no poop) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Post Surgery Question (no poop)

My cat had surgery on the 10th because of an intestinal obstruction and part of his lower intestines were removed. He had an enema on the 9th that made him poop out all the hardened stool from being dehydrated due to the blockage but the object hadn't passed and he hadn't eaten in days.
Post op he started eating on the 12th and pooped early morning on the 14th but not since. It's currently midday on the 18th.
He is back to his normal self. Eating, drinking, and peeing normally. No lethargy, no dehydration, no vomiting, no signs of infection or leaking intestines.
However I'm worried since he hasn't poop again. I read that food should take 20 hours to make it's way through a cat's digestive tract. He did lose 1.5-2lbs during all this but even so there should be some waste material no matter how well his intestines are breaking down his food. It's not coming up or out so I'm not sure where it is or if it's moving.
His stitches will be removed on the 20th but I can call Monday morning to ask. That still leaves me worrying until then. Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I ended up taking him to the vet. They checked and his poop was having a bit of trouble getting through the inflammation where they joined his intestines back together. It is at its peak of inflammation about a week to 10 days after. It all feels normal and is moving. Just taking a bit of extra time. Hopefully this post helps someone else down the line.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 09:14 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Zarae,

Aw, your poor little guy! I'm glad that you had him checked out and that things are ok. Fingers crossed that once the inflammation subsides, he'll be able to pass the poo. My cat has chronic constipation issues and needed an enema on Friday. Definitely not fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the reply.
Some of the poop made it through and he finally had a bowel movement. Stitches come put tomorrow so hopefully all will be well after that.
I just hope this post helps someone else down the line. I've been on here since this all started and reading about people in similar situations really helped alleviate my worries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page