Cali has cancer / leg amputated - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Cali has cancer / leg amputated

I took her in last week because her right shoulder felt larger than her left. Turns out my loving, gentle little girl has an aggressive, fast-growing cancerous tumor entwined in her left shoulder and invading part of her clavicle. The only treatment is to amputate her front right leg. This is going to be done on Friday. I'm devastated, but I know cats do fine with three legs. She's almost 11 years old, but still runs around like a wild kitty with her sister. In fact, they thought she was very young when I brought her to the vet. She's small, 7 lbs. All her blood work came back good, and all the other tests were fine. They told me she's as healthy as a 2 year old, except for the cancer, of course. She's in good hands, they all love her. They're sending her home with me Friday evening and I was wondering if anyone has gone through this and how the recovery went. I have no idea what to expect.

I think she'll be fine, because when she was a kitten, she broke two toes (same leg that's being amputated) and had to wear a splint. She just held it up a little and ran around on three legs for a few weeks.

This is her "I love you this much" picture.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by marie73; 03-24-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 03:58 PM
Premier Cat

So sorry to hear your news about Cali's cancer....yes very devastating! All the best for a successful operation and full recovery.....prayers coming to you and Cali.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 05:05 PM
Cat Addict

I wish Cali the best. I had a cat have to have a tail amputated. He had like a bobcat stub. It took time but he recovered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 05:46 PM
Jr. Cat

Aww, Cali is such a cute little lovebug. So sorry you two have to go through this, but she's lucky to have such a perceptive and caring cat guardian. Sending you and your furry family thoughts and purrs.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I guess on one hand I'm glad no one else has gone through this, but I wish I knew what to expect.

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 10:32 PM
Cat

I am so, so sorry to hear. I can only imagine the pain and sadness you are going through
Sending you and dear Cali lots of prayers and love *hugs*
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 01:18 AM
Premier Cat

Oh no Marie, I'm so sorry to hear this. That must have been a huge shock to hear.

How did the surgery go? Is she back home with you? I hope the vet gave you some idea of what you might expect as she recovers. I imagine that the fact that she's in good health otherwise will really help to ensure a full, and hopefully, speedy, recovery. Celia sends Cali headbutts of encouragement.

That pic of her is just adorable!
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks, spirite. Last night did not go well at all. Today, she's walking a few steps, then resting, then walking. She used the litter box and is mostly keeping to herself and I'm leaving her alone. I have to take her back to the vet today and I'm going to get an appetite stimulant, she doesn't want to eat.

I know in my heart that in a few days she'll probably be much, much more like herself, but it hurts to see her this way.

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 12:12 PM
Cool Cat

I'm so sorry, Marie. : ( Sending all my love and encouraging thoughts your way and hers for her to recover emotionally. I'm sure the physical recovery itself will be fine. When I was visiting one of my fosters at the shelter due to liver failure (really really sad - he didn't make it), I saw at least 3 kitties have legs amputated. They all did fine and were real troopers afterward. A couple were even very lovable still right away and kept demanding pets and head rubs. But that is definitely the harder part i think - the emotional recovery. hang in there. Lots and lots of love to you. love and time conquers all.

Maggie & Phoebe
Kitty, Lucy Girl, Bobby Boy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thank you so much, Maggie.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page