Questions about abscesses - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Questions about abscesses

So, Pecan (almost seven months old female shorthair dilute calico) has a lump. I do not like lumps. I am a lump-checker like crazy- if I find any kind of abnormality in my kitty's sleek physiques I check every day and try to part the fur to see if it's a surface thing or an internal thing.

Pecan's lump was about the size of a nickel coin, not terribly swollen or protruding but firm and large enough that I would feel it whenever I touched that part of her body. At first I thought it was one of her teats, because it's in an armpit-ish area. I determined it wasn't, it was more or less on the connective stretchy skin between the arm and underarm. She's had it for some time now and I've been checking it to make sure it isn't getting any bigger (it's very hard to get her to hold still long enough to part the fur and check the skin).

Today after chatting with my great grandparents about it, I went to check and it felt much smaller, but also rather crusty (very close to the skin though, so it was difficult to see.)

I'm beginning to suspect that she may have had an abscess that has begun to drain itself. If it is, and it continues to drain itself, should I simply leave it for now and keep a close eye on it? I should note she seems to have an impeccable immune system and speedy recovery rate. She was spayed last month on the 21st and the external incision is already fused shut naturally and she shows no signs of discomfort or sensitivity to the area. The lump, however, seems to not bother her unless it's poked at too much. I would like to get a better look at it, perhaps clean the crust with some warm water and a tissue if she'll let me, but at this rate it's very hard because of the squirmyness. She's a VERY lively kitten that moves faster than any cat I've seen and constantly IS on the move when she isn't napping, going potty or stopping for refreshments.

I read that there are some tell-tale symptoms of abscesses, but she isn't really acting any differently. She isn't showing lethargy, she isn't limping (it's in a location that might cause discomfort moving her forelimb), it doesn't seem red from what I have been able to glimpse, and I haven't (personally) seen any discharge or pus (fresh), or noticed an odor.

I do have two other cats and Pecan plays very rough with them (they don't consider it playing, I don't think- they make a lot of scary noises while trying to stay away from her) and I'm wondering if one of them may have bit her and caused it. They're both sixteen year old+ cats who don't have the best dental health (it's so expensive where I live to get their teeth cleaned...) so I feel like it IS a possibility, since bites are often the cause of it.

Have your cats gotten abscesses? What were they like? Have you ever dealt with one like what I'm describing, and do you think what she has might be an abscess, or something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 01:26 PM
Jr. Cat

I just saw my first abscess on our 3-year old girl Olive. She's new to the family and gets chased. I noticed a scratch on her in the same spot previously (right above her shoulder), but neglected to put any antibacterial ointment on it since I figured she would lick it off.

Well, it ended up abscessing and then the abscess burst, and she had an open wound the size of a nickel. It looked pretty scary, but wasn't too deep and she never had any symptoms of a major infection (ie the lethargy, ordor or behavior changes that you were looking out for too). She didn't seem to even notice there was a wound. We tried to keep it very clean with ointment after that, and it healed up perfectly without a vet visit.

That's all I have anecdotally, but maybe it helps. I'm not very experienced in abscesses, so I don't want to try and guess what Pecan has (adorable name by the way). Hope she heals quickly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page